February 6 through March 5, 2016
Saturdays, 9 a.m. to noon
Olin Science Center & Ford Hall
Price: $75 per student
What is Saturday Explorations?
Saturday Explorations is for students in grades 5-8 who are interested in science, math, robotics, computer programming, arts and humanities, or language and culture. Classes are held on five consecutive Saturday mornings for three hours each. We welcome creative, curious and talented 5th through 8th grade students who would like to spend time with similar youth learning about a specific topic. Classes are kept small, usually a maximum of ten students per instructor.
Spring term 2016 classes:
- Creative Writing: Do you love to write? Develop new writing skills to communicate your best ideas well. Learn interesting prompts and new writing techniques. Bring your writing to life in this active and fun-loving class.
- Science Rotation: Discover the excitement of science with different lab-based science experiments each week. Topics in chemistry, biology, physics, geology, neuroscience, environmental science and forensics may be explored. All classes include hands-on activities taught by enthusiastic Willamette University undergraduates majoring in science who love science. Students are grouped by grade: 5-6 and 7-8.
- Chinese: Cultures and Language: Are you interested in learning about Chinese culture and Mandarin Chinese language? History, holiday traditions, family and school life are explored through song, dance and games in this active, fun class.
- Advanced Computer Game Design: Create your own video game. Learn computer programming. Share and play classmates' games. The class will use computers loaded with GameMaker software to design animated, third-person view, video games. Prerequisite: Beginning computer game design or programming experience using SCRATCH.
- Beginning Robotics: Design, build and program a robot to race, 'sumo' wrestle, and joust. Use the Lego Mindstorms NXT robots to practice and learn programming. Beginning Robotics is FULL. Please call 503-370-6513 to add your name to the waiting list.