October 3 through 31, 2015
Saturdays, 9 a.m. to noon
Collins Science Center & Ford Hall
Price: $75 per student
What is Saturday Explorations?
Saturday Explorations is for students in grades 5-8 who are interested in science, math, robotics, computer programming, arts and humanities, or language and culture. Classes are held on five consecutive Saturday mornings for three hours each. We welcome creative, curious and talented 5th through 8th grade students who would like to spend time with similar youth learning about a specific topic. Classes are kept small, usually a maximum of ten students per instructor.
Fall term 2015 classes:
- Science Rotation: Discover the excitement of science with different lab-based science experiments each week. Topics in chemistry, biology, physics, geology, neuroscience, environmental science and forensics may be explored. All classes include hands-on activities taught by enthusiastic Willamette University undergraduates who love science. Students are grouped by grade: 5-6 and 7-8.
- Chinese: Cultures and Language: Are you interested in learning about Chinese culture and Mandarin Chinese language? History, holiday traditions, family and school life are explored through song, dance and games in this active, fun class.
- Computer Game Programming: Create your own video game. Learn computer programming. Share and play classmates' games. The class will use computers loaded with GameMaker and/or Scratch software to design animated, third-person view, video games.
- Beginning Robotics: Design, build and program a robot to race, 'sumo' wrestle, and joust. Use the Lego Mindstorms NXT robots to practice and learn programming.
- Advanced Robotics: Build and Design robots using Lego Mindstorms NXT. Engineer robots for specific environmental challenges. Program more complex robotic movements. Design solutions to problems. Build, test and revise your solutions. Prerequisite: Beginning Robotics or experience building the Lego Mindstorms robot and programming the sensors.