This list indicates which software is fully supported, partially supported, or not supported by the Help Desk. This list does not necessarily reflect all of the software that is supported by WITS as a whole - only that which is supported specifically by the Help Desk. A full list of WITS supported software (for university-owned computers) can be found in the WITS Hardware & Software Support Policy.
Fully Supported Software
This is the WITS software of choice. The Help Desk staff have the most experience with this software, and should be able to answer most questions about it.
- Windows 98 Second Edition, Millenium Edition (Me), 2000 Professional, XP Professional, XP Home Edition
- Mac OS 8.6-9.2, or OS 10.2 and above
- Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, & PowerPoint)
- Office 2000, XP, 2003 for Windows
- Office 98, 2001, X, 2004 for Macintosh
- Mozilla Firefox
- Mozilla Thunderbird
- Internet Explorer
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition
- EWAN (telnet for Windows)
- SSH Secure Shell (secure telnet)
Partially Supported Software
This software may not be used by WITS, or the Help Desk staff may have only limited experience with it. We will try our best to answer your question but we may have to point you in the direction of someone else who has more knowledge.
- Adobe Acrobat (Full Version)
- Adobe Photoshop
- Corel Word Perfect
- Corporate Time Calendar
- Fetch FTP for Macintosh
- Macromedia Dreamweaver
- Outlook Express
- Oracle Calendar
- WS_FTP for Windows
- Just about anything not listed below.
This software is either not considered critical to the university's academic mission, or it is not compatible with other software or the campus network. WITS doesn't use it, and the Help Desk won't be able to answer questions about it.
- AppleWorks, iWork.
- Microsoft Works.
- Net2Phone and other Internet/Telephone software.
- Games of any kind.
- Instant Messaging programs such as AIM, MSN, ICQ, IRC, etc.
- Peer-to-peer file sharing using programs such as Napster, Aimster, Morpheus, Gnutella, Audio Galaxy, Kazaa, eMule/eDonkey, etc.
- File sharing on ResNet via Network Neighborhood.