WITS antivirus policies for students
Willamette University policy requires that all computers on the campus network have up-to-date anti-virus software installed and running on your computer. For all personal, non-university purchased computers it is your responsibility to acquire, install, and update your own anti-virus software.
WITS Currently recommends the following antivirus programs. All are available for free to individuals
- Windows 8/10 Users: Starting with Windows 8, Windows Defender antivirus software is preinstalled (although some vendors will still install free trials of other antivirus software), so you do not need to acquire a 3rd party AV program.
- Windows 7 and earlier: Microsoft Security Essentials (PC) - Effective and free AV provided by Microsoft to run on Windows
- ClamXav (Mac) - Free antivirus for OS X
- *** NOTE!: More than one antivirus program is installed on your computer can cause problems. If you plan to switch antivirus programs be sure to uninstall the previous one before installing anything new
Anti Virus policies for Staff & Faculty
- University-owned computers: WITS installs System Center Endpoint protection (provided by Microsoft) antivirus software on all university owned computers to ensure that all staff and faculty are protected from virus infection. If you are a Willamette employee, and you do not have antivirus software on your office computer, please submit a WITS Service Request and we will send a technician to install the software at no cost to your department.
- Personal computers: This software is NOT available to staff, faculty, or other university employees for use on personal computers. For all personal, non-university purchased computers it is your responsibility to acquire, install, and update your own antivirus software.