2015 Fall Workshops - NEW
Welcome Back to Prep Time for Fall Term 2015!
Here is the WITS User Services schedule for workshops designed to help you get started or increase your skills with tools to use with your classes, including WISE (course management and collaboration), Panopto (lecture capture and other recording tasks), TurningPoint (polling software often called "clickers"), and Digication (digital portfolios). All workshops will be held in the WITS Exec Training Room, located in the Executive Building across the atrium from the Finance and Accounting office. Use this form to RSVP for the workshop(s) you plan to attend.
Intro to WISE: For those who are new to Willamette or to using WISE, this is a chance to learn the basics, including navigation, course site setup and management; using course resources (readings, weblinks, etc.), email and calendar; and course rosters. We will also do a quick spin through all the additional tools that are available to customize course sites and provide additional functionality.
- Thursday, 8/6, 1:00-2:30: WITS Exec Training Room
- Monday, 8/10, 1:00-2:30: WITS Exec Training Room
- Monday, 8/17, 10:00-11:30 AM: WITS Exec Training Room
- Wednesday, 8/19, 2:30-4:00 PM: WITS Exec Training Room
- Monday, 8/24, 10:00-11:30: WITS Exec Training Room
WISE Assessment Tools: Dig in to the Assignments, Tests&Quizzes and Gradebook tools. If you are new to WISE, you should attend an Intro to WISE workshop first.
- Friday, 8/7, 1:00-2:30: WITS Exec Training Room
- Wednesday, 8/12, 1:00-2:30: WITS Exec Training Room
- Thursday, 8/20, 10:30-12:00: WITS Exec Training Room
Tools for Collaboration: Using WISE collaboration tools such as Blogs, Forums, and Chat. Modifying permission settings to make other tools function collaboratively. Using tools from the Google suite for collaborative projects. Building collaborative portfolios using Digication. If you are new to WISE, you should attend an Intro to WISE workshop first.
- Friday, 8/7, 2:30-4:00: WITS Exec Training Room
- Friday, 8/14, 10:30-12:00: WITS Exec Training Room
- Thursday, 8/20, 1:00-2:30: WITS Exec Training Room
Creating & Using Digital Media: Using the WISE Media Gallery tool to stream media (audio, video, images) to your classes. Using Media Gallery and Panopto to create recordings.
- Wednesday, 8/12, 10:30-12:00: WITS Exec Training Room
- Friday, 8/14, 1:00-2:00: WITS Exec Training Room (Panopto only)
- Wednesday, 8/19, 10:00-11:30: WITS Exec Training Room
In-class Polling with TurningPoint: How well have students understood assigned readings? What are their opinions on controversial topics? Does an hour of discussion change minds? Just a couple of ways that anonymous polling might be used to support classroom activities.
- Tuesday, 8/11, 9:00-10:00: WITS Exec Training Room
- Friday, 8/21, 10:00-11:00: WITS Exec Training Room
Open Lab: User Services staff will be available to answer questions and assist you with setting up and using software for your classes.
- Friday, 8/21, 1:00-3:00: WITS Exec Training Room
Use this form to RSVP for the workshop(s) you plan to attend. If you have run into new ideas in the course of your summer travels and researches and want to schedule a consultation with WITS, contact Cheryl Cramer (email@example.com, 503-370-6122) or your User Services Consultant.
WITS will provide software training and consultation for faculty, staff, and administrative users. Workshops, seminars, or demonstrations can be arranged for groups of up to 18. We can cover most of the application software in general use around campus. Some sessions can be done "hands-on"; others may be limited to demonstration and explanation, depending on the software involved.
You can also schedule time with a WITS User Services Consultant for help with your computer and software.
Contact us for more information on software training:
- WISE (Willamette Instructional Support Environment) workshops are usually scheduled between semesters. Visit the WISE web site for more information.
- Training for "WebEdit" (department web site maintenance) is done through the office of Web Development. They publish a regular schedule of WebEdit workshops.