Getting Started with email at Willamette
Accessing your mail
Willamette has partnered with Google Apps for Education to provide mail. You can access to your Willamette Mail in several ways:
- wumail.willamette.edu - on the web. This will take you to the standard Gmail interface. It is also the only way you'll be able to perform administrative actions such as set mail forwarding or vacation responders.
- Using an email program - such as Thunderbird, Outlook, or Mac Mail. Many programs are supported, check the link for details on particular.
- On your mobile device - phones, tablets, etc. Here's how to access your email from those devices.
Managing your account
- Creating an account - Anyone with a Willamette Network Account will have access to Gmail.
- Gmail Settings - Help and instructions about all of the settings in Gmail.
- Setting mail forwarding
- Setting Vacation Auto Response
- Multiple Gmail accounts - tools for accessing multiple accounts simultaneously.
- Adding a signature
Many people are already familiar with Gmail's interface. If you need a refresher or are new to Gmail's look and feel you may find these links useful.
- Understanding the Gmail Interface - links to some of the basics about how Gmail approaches email in general.
- Video - Basic tour of the Gmail Interface - provided by Google/ Lynda.com.
- Interactive Guide - An interactive guide to the Gmail interface (Requires Adobe Flash).
Using the Gmail Interface
- Conversation view - What it is, and how to turn it off.
- Managing Contacts - Your online address book/contact list in Gmail.
- Searching - Gmail is big on 'search not sort'.
- Receiving messages - tabs, labels, deleting, archiving, searching, spam.
- Sending messages - send, reply, forward, drafts, formatting, attachments, spell check, contacts.
- Using filters - manage the flow of your incoming mail.