Uninstalling the Antivirus Software
If you downloaded a copy of Symantec or Norton AntiVirus from the University's server, then you are obliged to remove that software upon graduation so that the license can be used by an incoming student. You should buy your own copy of anti-virus software so your computer continues to be protected from electronic infestations. Be sure to uninstall the anti-virus program you obtained through the University before installing a new one; running two such programs simultaneously can greatly impede the operation of your computer.
**warning**Before you uninstall any anti-virus software, you should make sure you already have your new software, then disconnect from the internet (turn off wireless cards, unplug ethernet cables) and make the change. You do not want to have your computer connected to the internet without anti-virus software for even a few minutes!
Uninstall Symantec Antivirus for Windows
- Open the Windows Control Panels.
(Start > Control Panel or Start > Settings > Control Panels).
- Double-click on Add/Remove Programs.
- Select Symantec Antivirus Client (Windows).
- Click the Remove button.
- Click Yes to confirm that you want to remove the software.
- When uninstallation is complete, restart your computer.
Uninstall Norton Antivirus 8.0 for Macintosh
- Click to download the uninstaller file: NortonUninstall.sit
Save the file to your Desktop.
- Double-click the NortonUninstall.sit file and expand the file.
- Open the NortonUninstall folder.
- Double-click the NortonUninstall.command file.
- Type your Mac OS X administrator password and then press return.
Note: When typing your password, no characters will appear.
- Type 1 and then press return to "Remove all Symantec files/folders."
- After NortonUninstall finishes removing all of the Symantec files, type y to restart your computer.