Willamette University is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.
Accreditation of an institution of higher education by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities indicates that it meets or exceeds criteria for the assessment of institutional quality evaluated through a peer review process. An accredited college or university is one which has available the necessary resources to achieve its stated purposes through appropriate educational programs,is substantially doing so, and gives reasonable evidence that it will continue to do so in the foreseeable future. Institutional integrity is also addressed through accreditation.
Accreditation by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities is not partial but applies to the institution as a whole. As such, it is not a guarantee of every course or program offered, or the competence of individual graduates. Rather, it provides reasonable assurance about the quality of opportunities available to students who attend the institution.
Accreditation Evaluation Visit
Willamette University will host an accreditation evaluation visit from a team of evaluators on Nov. 6-8, 2019. The evaluation team is lead by Dr. John E. Cech, President, Carroll College. Other committee members include:
- Dr. Bob Duniway, Associate Vice President for Institutional Effectiveness, Seattle University
- Dr. Autumn Witt, Associate Provost, International Studies, Director ESL Program, Northwest University
- Dr. Mark Smillie, Professor of Philosophy, Carroll College
- Dr. Brittany Henderson, Dean of Student Life, Cornish College of the Arts
- Ms. Deborah Stevenson, Director, Center for Student Academic Success, Gonzaga University
- Mr. Joe Smith, Chief Financial Officer, Gonzaga University
- Dr. Mac Powell, Senior Vice President, Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU Liaison)
Accreditation Self-Study Team
The following members of the Willamette University faculty, staff and administration provided leadership to our accreditation self-study:
- Sammy Basu, Professor of History and Humanities
- Wendy Boring, Associate Professor of History
- Lisa C. Holliday, Senior Associate Dean of Students and Director of Student Activities
- Karen M. Holman, Professor of Chemistry
- Tim Johnson, Grace & Elmer Goudy Professor in Public Management & Policy Analysis and Senior Associate Dean for Faculty, AGSM
- Colleen Kawahara, Chief of Staff and Administrative Secretary to the Board of Trustees
- Tabitha Knight, Assistant Professor of Economics
- Carol S. Long, Provost and Senior Vice President
- Craig Milberg, University Librarian
- Mike Moon, Senior Director, Institutional Effectiveness
- Don Negri, Professor of Economics
- Terrance O'Reilly, Associate Professor of Law
- Ken Pifer, Controller
- Kelley D. Strawn, Faculty Associate Dean for Curriculum and Associate Professor of Sociology
- Karen Wood, Chaplain and Associate Professor of Religious Studies
Accreditation Core Themes
Willamette University is a community
- Of collaborative educators committed to rigorous education.
- That cultivates an authentic engagement with place.
- That promotes transformation of knowledge into action in ways that lead to lives of achievement, contribution and meaning.