- Ph.D., Tulane University
- B.S., University of Louisiana at Lafayette
Professional InterestsI’m a biochemist, and my research group focuses on studying non-covalent assembly to better design fluorescent sensors that mimic the high sensitivity and responsiveness of cellular machinery. Our work falls into two main projects based on different types of biomolecules. The first project looks at developing a better understanding of higher-order nucleic acid folding to build “DNA nano-machines” that use conformational changes to detect RNA inside live cells. Long-term, this project aims to develop inexpensive durable sensors for the early detection of cancer through detecting oncogenic micr-RNA. The second project looks at synthesizing novel organic dyes and looking at changes in behavior when they are encapsulated in supramolecular hosts to better understand the function of fluorescent proteins. Long term, this project aims to develop sensors for drug encapsulation.
Biking, boating, woodworking, metalworking, cooking and reading. For the latter, come check out my in-office lending library of science fiction & fantasy books!
- Chem 115 Introductory Chemistry I
- Chem 346/347 Experimental Biochemistry Laboratory
- Chem 351 Biochemistry
- Aryal, G.*; Battle, C.*; Grusenmeyer, T.; Jayawickramarajah, J. A Napthalimide Derived Fluorescence Sensor for Solid-Phase Screening of Cucurbituril-Guest Interactions. Chem. Comm. 2016, 52, 2307-2310. DOI:10.1039/C5CC08350H
- *These authors contributed equally to this work.
- Chu, X.; Battle, C. H.; Zhang, N.; Aryal, G. H.; Mottamal, M.; Jayawickramarajah, J., Bile Acid Conjugated DNA Chimera that Conditionally Inhibits Carbonic Anhydrase-II in the Presence of MicroRNA-21. Bioconjugate Chem 2015, 26 (8), 1606-1612.
- Su, X.; Kuang, L.; Battle, C.; Shaner, T.; Mitchell, B. S.; Fink, M. J.; Jayawickramarajah, J., Mild Two-Step Method to Construct DNA-Conjugated Silicon Nanoparticles: Scaffolds for the Detection of MicroRNA-21. Bioconjugate Chem. 2014, 25 (10), 1739–1743.
- Battle, C. H.; Chu, X.; Jayawickramarajah, J., Oligonucleotide-Based Systems for Input-Controlled and Non-Covalently Regulated Protein-Binding. Supramolecular Chemistry. 2013, 25 (12), 848-862.
- Battle, C. H.; Jayawickramarajah, J., Supramolecular Approaches for Inhibition of Protein-Protein and Protein/DNA Interactions. In Supramolecular Chemistry: From Molecules to Nanomaterials, Steed, J. W.; Gale, P. A., Eds. John Wiley and Sons: 2012; Vol. 4, pp 1885-1908.
- Mishur, R. J.; Griffin, M. E.; Battle, C. H.; Shan, B.; Jayawickramarajah, J., Molecular recognition and enhancement of aqueous solubility and bioactivity of CD437 by [beta]-cyclodextrin. Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett. 2011, 21 (2), 857-860.