Auditions for Moving Forward • Screendance
• Video submission •
Materials due Jan. 29, 2021 at 5 pm
Moving Forward • Screendance
Faith Morrison, Artistic Director
- Audition materials due: Friday, January 29, 2021 at 5 pm.
- Performance online release date: Friday, April 30, 2021.
Willamette's spring dance concert moves fully into the emerging visual language of Screendance. "Screendance is a hybrid arts form that combines movement with the camera to stir the imagination and deliver a unique visual experience to explore motion and subject matter." ("Screendance," by Robin Bahhi. July 2014.)
Choreographers' and dancers' journey into this new genre are aided by masterclasses in dance and cinematography, led by Portland filmmaker Robert Uehlin. Click here for samples of Robert's screendance work.
All Acting emphasis theatre majors and all Acting theatre scholarship students are required to audition.*
Step 1: Fill out an online Audition Form.
Step 2: Access audition phrase videos.
- Choose 1 of the 3 movement phrases (Ballet, Contemporary, or Jazz) to perform for your audition.
- Watch all four videos from your chosen style. There are two videos showing the phrase performed from different angles (Front view/Back view), and two videos with teaching instructions (Breakdown Part I and Part II). The breakdown videos should be used for learning each phrase as you would in the studio.
Note: You're welcome to learn the phrases with other people. Feel free to learn, discuss, and practice with friends. Perform each phrase to the best of your ability, and know it's okay if you don't know all the movements. We're looking for people of all skill levels and abilities, regardless of previous movement training.
If you have any questions, please email Faith Morrison, email@example.com.
Step 3: Create audition video
Create a video of yourself performing 1 of the 3 movement phrases (Ballet, Contemporary, or Jazz) to the accompanying music (see below). Videos must show your entire body dancing alone in a solo setting. You're welcome to film inside or outside, wherever is best for you to move.
Music found on Spotify:
- Ballet Phrase: "Happiness Does Not Wait," by Ólafur Arnalds
- Contemporary Phrase: "3 185," by Michael Wall
- Jazz Phrase: "Feeling Good," by Michael Bublé
- Improvisation Video: "New Light," by Gidge
Step 4: Create a 20-30 second improvisation video.
Score: Film yourself in an enclosed space improvising movement using only your upper body. Improvisation should be filmed while playing the song "New Light" by Gidge (any section in the song).
Step 5: Submit your audition materials
Submit your 2 videos (1 phrase and 1 improvisation) attached in an email. Send materials to firstname.lastname@example.org. Submissions are due at 5 pm on Friday, Jan. 29, 2021.
If you would like to work in the technical theatre area for the Dance concert, please begin by completing the following short form.
* Significant involvement in each mainstage production each semester is required of all majors, minors and scholarship students. If you received your scholarship based on an acting audition, you must audition for all mainstage shows. If you interviewed as a design/tech student, you are welcome but not required to audition. Significant involvements include acting or a major contribution to technical aspects of the production. The faculty will assign students their production roles. It is the student's responsibility to check with the Production Stage Manager to confirm their assignments to crew positions.
Willamette University Theatre is committed to providing equal opportunity and prohibits all forms of unlawful discrimination and harassment based upon age, color, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, military and veteran status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sex, including breastfeeding or medical condition relating to breast feeding, sexual orientation, or any other basis protected by law.