The Center for Ancient Studies and Archaeology is now accepting applications for scholarships that encourage Willamette University undergraduates to participate in archaeological field schools, excavation or survey projects by providing funds that may be used to pay for program fees and travel to and from the site.
Applications are reviewed by a selection committee consisting of three CASA core faculty members appointed by the CASA director.
Application Deadline: April 10, 2023
- Applicants must be enrolled as full-time Willamette undergraduate students during the school year the scholarship is awarded. (Participation by the applicant in a semester abroad program during the term of application shall not be considered a bar to the application as long as the student is making regular progress toward completion of an undergraduate degree at Willamette).
- The field school, excavation or survey project to which the scholarship is to be applied must be approved by CASA.
- The field school, excavation or survey project to which the scholarship is to be applied must require residence of at least three weeks.
- Preference will be given to individuals that have not received substantial support either from other granting sources or from the excavation, survey, or field school.
- Preference will be given to applicants with little or no field experience.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have completed at least two Willamette courses that prepare them for better participation in the field experience. Applicants will address the suitability of their courses in their application. A letter of recommendation from the instructor of one of those courses must be included with the application.
- Applicants will be required to sign an affirmation that there are no physical or psychological barriers to their full performance of the duties associated with participation in an archaeological field school, excavation, or survey, nor are there any physical or psychological barriers to their participation in the rigors, discomforts, and stresses of daily life in a field school, excavation, or survey camp.
- Scholarship recipients will be required to sign a waiver that absolves CASA and Willamette University of responsibility for any illness, injury, or loss that the recipients may sustain during or as a consequence of their participation in the excavation, survey, or field school.
- Scholarship recipients will be required to submit to CASA a letter from the director or an appropriate administrator of the field school, excavation or survey project certifying that the recipient has been accepted to the project. No CASA funds will be dispersed to the recipient until such a letter is received by CASA.
Summer 2023 Archaeological Field School Scholarship Application Form
Disclaimer- CASA will only be able to disburse the funds if the Field school goes ahead as planned in July/August 2023
Please submit all materials electronically (as attached .pdf files) to:
Administrative Program Coordinator for the Center for Ancient Studies and Archaeology
Expected Outcomes: No later than sixty days following the completion of the recipient’s participation in the field school, survey or excavation, scholarship recipients must present CASA with an academic report about the experience (500 – 700 words) and a photograph documenting their involvement in the field school. Scholarship recipients will be required to sign a release of rights to CASA and Willamette University for the use of their reports and photographs in CASA or Willamette publications.