Transfer Credit

Students may apply a maximum of 16 transfer credits toward a Willamette degree. Six quarter hours or four semester hours of transfer credit equal one Willamette credit. In most cases, courses taken at regionally accredited colleges or universities will receive full credit if they are comparable to courses offered at Willamette, or otherwise consistent with the goals and standards of Willamette's undergraduate degree programs. Courses with grades below a C- (C minus) will not receive credit. Transfer courses are not used in computing the Willamette University grade point average. To be eligible for transfer credit, college courses must be described in the college catalog and recorded on the college transcript. Once matriculated at Willamette University, students must submit a Transfer Credit Request form prior to enrolling in proposed transfer courses.

Students admitted with an Associate of Arts degree from an accredited community college will be automatically granted 15 Willamette credits (junior standing), less any credits applied to the secondary school diploma, upon entrance. Students transferring from Tokyo International University (TIU) in the Scholarship Exchange Program will be automatically granted 16 Willamette credits (junior standing) upon entrance. In both cases, satisfaction of specific general requirements and major requirements will be determined on the basis of a course-by-course evaluation of the transcript(s). At least 15 degree credits must be earned in residence at Willamette University.

Additionally, at least 8 of the final 10 degree credits must be earned in residence or in Willamette-approved off-campus study programs.

A minimum of three MOI credits must be earned while in residence at Willamette University. Satisfaction of particular MOI requirements by transfer will be approved only in cases where such courses are reasonable substitutes for approved Willamette University MOI courses.
Freshmen with Advanced Standing

Willamette University encourages student participation in the Advanced Placement (AP) program sponsored by the College Board and the International Baccalaureate (IB) program. No college credit is granted for College Level Examination Program (CLEP).

Many AP scores of "4" and "5" will be granted a minimum of one credit (4 semester hours). Willamette will grant one credit (4 semester hours) for each IB Higher Level examination passed with a score of "5" and up to two credits each for Higher Level exams passed with a score of "6" or "7." Willamette will also grant one additional credit to students who earn the full IB Diploma with a score of 30 or above. For a current listing of AP and IB course equivalencies, contact the Registrar's Office.

College credits earned prior to secondary school graduation in concurrent enrollment programs may transfer to Willamette University However, such courses must be more advanced in the discipline than courses normally offered at the secondary school. In order to be eligible for transfer, college courses must be described in the college catalog and recorded on the college transcript. Credits that apply to the secondary school diploma cannot be applied a second time to the baccalaureate degree.

Students should consult the Office of the Registrar with any questions regarding the transferability of college credits. For students who have not earned an Associate of Arts degree, no more than eight Willamette credits (the equivalent of 32 semester or 48 quarter credit hours) will be awarded for courses that a student completed prior to secondary school graduation. This includes AP and IB credits.

Any student receiving GI Bill education benefits while attending Willamette University is required to obtain transcripts from military training and all previously attended schools and submit them to the school for review of prior credit.