Reading Endorsement Program
The Graduate School of Education will discontinue offering degree, licensing and endorsement programs at the end of the 2013-14 academic year. We are no longer accepting applications for admission to the Reading Endorsement Program. Please contact us for more information.
The Graduate School of Education Reading Endorsement Program is designed for those interested in providing reading program leadership within their building or district. This program leads to an endorsement that uses a wide range of instructional practices, approaches and methods; including technology-based practices for learners at different developmental levels and from differing cultural and linguistic backgrounds. It is based on scientific research of successful practices to prepare and train high-quality teachers. All reading courses align with International Reading Association (IRA), TSPC and NCATE guidelines.
All Reading endorsement coursework is offered online, with the exception of the 90-hour required practicum.
Candidates enrolled in the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) may complete one course, ENDR 544 (3 credits), toward the Reading Endorsement during their MAT.
- Six courses required including practicum for a total of 16 credits.
- Candidates must follow all policies and procedures as outlined in the candidates handbook.
- Passing of Praxis II Reading Specialist exam. Click here for test information.
- TSPC updates testing requirements periodically. Please check the TSPC website to be sure you are taking the correct exam.
- 90-hour practicum in school with Reading endorsed professional
- At least three months BEFORE the anticipated start of the endorsement practicum, candidates must download, complete and submit this form. Once the form has been received, a practicum placement will be secured, at which time the candidate will be enrolled in practicum hours (2 credits).
|Course Number and Title||Credits|
|ENDR 541 - Foundations of Language Acquisition||3|
|ENDR 542 - Literacy Assessment, Diagnosis, and Instruction PK-12||3|
|ENDR 543 - Culturally Responsive Instruction and Literacy Leadership||2|
|ENDR 544 - Integrated Literacy Methods Across the Curriculum||3|
|ENDR 545 - Leadership & Innovation in School Literacy Programs||3|
|ENDR 580 - Literacy Leadership Practicum and Portfolio||2|