2009 MBA for Professionals Student Handbook - Financial Policies and Procedures


MBA for Professionals students pay a set tuition rate determined by their semester of entry. Tuition covers the cost of all course offerings, and required books. Personal supplies are not included. Laptop computer and software purchases are the responsibility of the student.

The tuition rate of the semester of entry remains consistent for MBA professionals students throughout the six (6) consecutive semesters of the program.

MBA for Professionals students who remain enrolled in the program after the six consecutive semesters of enrollment, will pay the tuition rate of the current academic year.

Tuition rates change each year with new rates becoming effective in September. Tuition rates are based on the guidelines of the Willamette University Board of Trustees.

Atkinson School MBA for Professionals alumni may take Atkinson School MBA elective courses at a rate of 50% of current tuition.


An MBA for Professionals Dean's Achievement Scholarship of $1,000 is awarded to newly admitted applicants who present excellent credentials and a GMAT score of 600 or higher. [Note: Willamette University employees are not eligible for participaton in this scholarship program.]

The MBA for Professionals Dean's Achievement Scholarship requires students to be enrolled in two (2) MBA for Professionals courses during the semester of the award.

The $1,000 scholarship is renewable on a consecutive semester basis if the following criteria are met:

1) The student completes 2 MBA for Professionals courses each semester.

2) The student is currently enrolled in 2 MBA for Professionals courses.

3) The student is consistently enrolled, completing the MBA degree in 6 consecutive semesters in 24 months.

4) The student maintains a semester and cumulative gpa of 3.3 or higher in MBA for Professionals coursework.

5) The student maintains good status within the academic policies and codes of conduct of the Atkinson School and Willamette University.

Cancellation of Scholarships

Scholarship recipients who have been placed on conduct probation or found to have committed plagiarism, cheating, or unauthorized possession of academic materials will lose all scholarship assistance awarded by the Atkinson School. The student may make a written appeal to the Associate Dean/Director of Admission, who will take the appeal to the Dean. The Dean's decision is final and binding. Definitions of the terms "plagiarism," "cheating," "unauthorized possession of academic materials," and "conduct probation" are available in the conduct section of this handbook.

Financial Aid Suspension and Drug Related Offenses

The Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA), enacted in 2008, states that a student who has been convicted of any offense under any Federal or State law involving the possession or sale of a controlled substance shall not be eligible to receive any Federal or State grant, loan, or work study during the period beginning on the date of such conviction and ending after the interval specified in the following table:

Conviction involving possession of a controlled substance removes eligibility for:
First offense ................................... 1 year
Second offense ............................... 2 years
Third offense .................................. Indefinite

Conviction involving the sale of a controlled substance removes eligibility for:
First offense ................................... 2 years
Second offense ............................... Indefinite

A student who has lost eligibility may become eligible before the end of the stated ineligibility period if:
a) he/she satisfactorily completes a drug rehabilitation program and passes two unannounced drug tests; or
b) his/her conviction is reversed, set aside, or otherwise rendered null.

Effective July 1, 2010, students who lose eligibility for Federal and State financial aid due to a drug conviction may regain eligibility if they successfully pass two unannounced drug tests conducted by a drug rehabilitation program.

If you have specific questions regarding how the Federal requirements will impact your financial aid following a drug conviction, contact the Office of Financial Aid: finaid@willamette.edu 503-370-6273 or toll free 1-877-744-3736

Billing Process for Tuition

While attending Willamette University, you will be billed each semester for tuition and other incurred charges. You will receive your billing electronically through Willamette University’s electronic billing website, known as QuikPAY. When the billing is posted, you will receive an email notification at your university email address.

If you have any questions regarding the information on this page, please call the Office of Student Accounts and Loans at (503) 375-5308 or email student-accounts@willamette.edu.

Frequently Asked Questions about the Billing Process

The following are frequently asked questions regarding the student billing process and our electronic billing website known as QuikPAY:

When will I receive my bills for tuition and fees?

You will receive your billing statement electronically several weeks before that start of each semester. In addition, you will receive a subsequent statement each month updating your account information. You will access your statement through Willamette’s electronic billing website known as QuikPAY.

How do I access my electronic bill?

There are two ways to access your electronic statement.

1) QuikPAY – You can access your statement through Willamette’s electronic billing website known as QuikPAY. An email will be sent to your university email address (and the email address of an authorized sponsor, if applicable) notifying you that your current statement is ready for review. The body of the email will include a hyperlink that you can click on to go to the QuikPAY access page on Willamette University’s website.

When you are at the QuikPAY access page, click on the Student Access link. Your QuikPAY user name and password are the same as that for your Willamette University email address (see below for how parents/sponsors are setup and log in to QuikPAY). After logging in to QuikPAY select “View Accounts” and “Current Statement” from the menu. If you want to view prior statements select “Statement History” from the menu and a listing of statements will appear.

2) Student Accounts and Loans webpage – You can access your statement by logging on to the following websites: www.willamette.edu/offices/studentaccounts

https://secure.willamette.edu/services/quikpay/ (students)

http://quikpayasp.com/willamette/studentaccounts/authorized.do (authorized parents/sponsors).

What is the current balance on my student account?

Statements are posted to QuikPAY once per month. However, charges may be posted to your student account periodically throughout the month. You can view your current balance along with charges and payments that have occurred within the last 45 days on QuikPAY through the “Account Status” screen found under “View Accounts” on the menu. Please note that the current balance on the “Account Status” screen does not include any financial aid that is pending on your account. Pending aid is reflected on your statements. When you have pending aid on your account you will need to subtract the amount from the current balance on the “Account Status” screen to determine the amount that you owe. You can also view your current account activity and balance through JASON on the Willamette University website.

How do I authorize sponsors to have access?

On the QuikPAY screen, select “Authorize Payer” from the menu, then input the following information: the name of your sponsor, their login, and their password. Then, select the "Add" button to submit. Please tell your sponsor their username and password for QuikPAY. After parents/sponsors are set up in QuikPAY they have the ability to change their login and password should they forget or misplace this information.

How can I make payments for tuition and fees?

Payments can be made online at QuikPAY, via mail, or by wire transfer.

1. QuickPAY – To make an online payment at QuikPAY select “Make Payment” from the menu. On the “Make Payment” screen input the amount of the payment and select either “eCheck” or “Credit card” from the drop down box next to “Payment Method”.

eCheck Payment: After you have input your information you will be sent to another screen where you will enter more specific information about your checking account. Please make sure to verify your payment amount and checking account information prior to electronically submitting your payment.

Credit Card Payment: MasterCard, American Express and Discover Card are accepted. Visa cards are not accepted. (Please note that when you use a credit card you will incur an additional 2.75 percent charge from the credit card service provider.) After you have input your information you will be sent to another screen where you will enter more specific information about your credit card. Please make sure to verify your payment amount and credit card information prior to submitting your payment.

2. Mail (or in person) – You can pay by check through the mail or by coming to the Student Accounts Office. Make the check out to “Willamette University” and write your name and student ID number on the check. Mail the check to: Willamette University; Student Accounts Office; 900 State Street; Salem, Oregon 97301

3. Wire Transfer: You can wire funds in U.S. dollars from your bank to Willamette University.

Bank Name/Address:
Wells Fargo Bank
420 Montgomery Street
San Francisco, CA 94104

Routing Number (ABA): 121000248
SWIFT Code: WFBIUS6WFFX (international wires only)
Account Name: Willamette University
Account Number: 4159599240
Reference Area: Write your Name and Willamette ID number

Is my online payment secure?

Mutual authentication called SSL protocol provides a secure communications on the internet, similar to other forms of online e-commerce. This protocol is designed to prevent eavesdropping, tampering and message forgery. SSL is used by most financial institutions. QuikPay also uses sophisticated encrypted technology for the storage of data.

How do I print an invoice?

You can print a statement by clicking on the "Adobe Acrobat" icon. A statement which you can print or email will then be displayed.

If you have any questions regarding this information please call the Office of Student Accounts and Loans at (503) 375-5308 or email student-accounts@willamette.edu.

If you have questions regarding loans that you will receive while attending Willamette University, please call the Financial Aid office at (503) 370-6273 or email gradaid@willamette.edu

Monthly Payment Plan

Willamette offers a deferred payment program through a third party company known as Tuition Management Systems (TMS). This interest-free payment plan offers students a program through which educational expenses for the year can be spread out over 8, 10 or 12 months. This monthly payment plan option has a $75 application fee for the year. Under this plan you divide your net expenses for the entire year by 8, 10 or 12 to determine your monthly payment. Please call TMS at 1-800-356-8329 or visit their website at http://www.afford.com.

Late Fees

If a student fails to complete payment or make arrangements with the Business Office by 4 p.m. of the due date designated, a $50 late fee will be assessed and interest with accrue at 12 percent APR (Annual Percentage Rate). If payment is still not received within 30 days of the semester start date, the student may be disenrolled for nonpayment of fees.

Health Insurance Requirement

All Willamette Early Career MBA students who are enrolled for six or more credits of course work are required to carry health insurance. Willamette University automatically places U.S. students on a third party health insurance carrier policy and automatically places International students on a health insurance policy for international students.

Student health insurance for U.S. students is billed at the beginning of the year and will appear on your first statement for tuition and fees. Student health insurance for international students is paid at the beginning of fall semester and spring semester.

If you have coverage under another plan, you may be able to waive Willamette’s student insurance plan. U.S. students with other coverage can go online after July 1, 2009 to waive out of Willamette’s student insurance. This plan must be waived prior to September 20, 2009. To find out more about the student health insurance plan and the waiver process go to: http://www.willamette.edu/offices/health/insurance/

International students with other coverage must personally meet with Chris Andresen to show proof of adequate coverage before classes start on August 20th. To find out more about the international student health insurance plan and the waiver process go to: http://www.willamette.edu/offices/oie/intl/handbook/insurance/

Willamette University Withdrawal Refund Policy

Students are admitted to Willamette with the understanding that they will remain until the end of the semester unless unforeseen circumstances necessitate their withdrawal or unless they are dismissed or suspended. Students who are suspended or expelled from the University forfeit all refunds of tuition and fees.

In compliance with the Higher Education Amendments of 1998 (Section 668.22), Willamette University’s refund policy is as follows:

1. A student's withdrawal date is the date the student began the institution's withdrawal process or officially notified the institution of intent to withdraw; or the midpoint of the period for a student who leaves without notifying the institution.

2. Refunds for tuition for full withdrawals will be prorated, per day, based on the academic calendar up to the 60% point in the semester.

If a student drops below full-time (8.0 credits) but remains enrolled, after the 10th day of the semester (the Add/Drop Period), they will not have their tuition charge adjusted but will be billed as a full-time student for the semester.

3. Withdrawing students are responsible for applicable room and meal plan charges through the date they checked out of their campus housing with Residential Services.

4. Students withdrawing for medical reasons may petition for a Medical Withdrawal. In the case of an approved Medical Withdrawal, the student refund is the same as a student who withdraws from the University. However, the student's transcript will indicate a withdrawal for medical reasons. The Application for Medical Withdrawal may be obtained from the Registrar's Office.

5. Health insurance charges and student body fees will not be refunded to withdrawing students.

6. In the case of a student's death during a term, a full tuition refund will be granted to the student's estate.

Students, who withdraw and have received financial aid, will receive their refund after the required portion of their financial aid is returned to the aiding programs. The required portion of financial aid that is returned to the aiding programs is calculated as follows:

  • Title IV aid and all other aid is earned in a prorated manner on a per day basis based on the academic calendar up to the 60% point in the semester. After the 60% point, no refunds are granted for tuition.
  • Recalculation of financial aid is based on the percent of earned aid using the following federal formula: Percent Earned = Number of days completed up to the withdrawal date divided by total days in the semester
  • Federal financial aid is returned to the federal government based on the percent of unearned aid using the following formula: Aid to be returned = (Percent earned × the amount aid that was eligible to be disbursed) – aid that was actually disbursed.
  • When financial aid is returned, the student may owe a balance to the University. The student should contact the Loans and Student Accounts Office to make arrangements to pay the balance.

Questions regarding this refund policy should be directed to the Loans and Student Accounts Office located on the first floor of Waller Hall on the Salem campus.

Willamette University

Atkinson Graduate School of Management

Salem Campus

900 State Street
Salem Oregon 97301 U.S.A.

Portland Center

200 SW Market Street, Suite 101
Portland Oregon 97201 U.S.A.

Back to Top