Special Edition: January 26, 2017 | View this email online
Willamette Day celebration: February 1, 2017
Dear Willamette Community:
On Wednesday, Feb. 1, Willamette University kicks off a yearlong celebration of our 175th anniversary. As we reflect on Willamette’s past, the 175th anniversary is also an opportunity to look to the future — and our hopes, dreams and goals for the world we want to build.
Here are ways to join in the celebration:
- Wear Willamette — Get decked out in your favorite cardinal and gold attire Feb. 1.
- Commemorative selfies — Pose for a photo under the balloon arch on the first floor of the UC and post it to social media using #Willamette175. You may end up in an album on Willamette’s Facebook page.
- Birthday cake — Look for tables with balloons in Goudy, Kaneko, Law, AGSM and the first floor of the UC where cake will be served at 11 a.m.
- Group photo — Arrive at Sparks Field by noon on Wednesday for a special group photo. You and your fellow Bearcats will form a giant 175. If it’s raining, meet instead in Cone Field House.
- Atkinson Lecture — This sold-out lecture by renowned author Ta-Nehisi Coates is the official 175th kickoff event. If you have extra tickets, please return them, so students on the waiting list can attend.
- #Willamette175 trivia — Follow Willamette’s Facebook and Instagram accounts and win Willamette 175 swag by commenting with the first correct answer to trivia questions about historic photos. Questions will be posted Monday–Friday next week.
- WEB prize wheel and photo contest — Spin Willamette Events Board’s prize wheel and enjoy hot cocoa in Jackson Plaza from 4–6 p.m. (UC first floor if raining); hang out with Blitz from 4:30–5:30 p.m. Enter the WEB Spirit Day Photo Contest for a chance to win a GameCube. For contest details, email Jaelin Sonoda at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Jackson Plaza — Stroll through the plaza after dark and enjoy the celebratory lighting for one night only.
- Special treats — The Bistro, Cat Cavern, Goudy and Kaneko will have special items for sale. Goudy will serve a celebratory dinner menu. Find more swag at the Willamette Store (175th merchandise coming soon!) and the Willamette Athletics Online Store.
- Share the celebration — Check out the 175th website for other ways to celebrate Willamette’s anniversary, such as downloading commemorative cover photos for social media and sharing your photos.
- Celebrate all year — Tell your friends and neighbors to join you at Willamette’s academic, arts and athletic events this year. Download an event guide (available soon), follow the events calendar each week in the Bearcat Bulletin or view the events calendar online.
Happy 175th anniversary, Willamette!
facebook twitter instagram
Willamette University | 900 State Street
| Salem, Oregon 97301
| Phone 503-370-6014
©2014-2018 Willamette University. All rights reserved. You have received this message because of your affiliation with Willamette University.