We have been notified that this Saturday, Nov. 14, members of the Proud Boys are expected to attend a “Defeat the Steal” rally at the State Capitol. The Proud Boys are a far-right organization that has been known to promote and engage in political violence and have been classified as a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center. The event is scheduled to begin at 11 a.m., however, at past events in the Salem area, Proud Boys and their supporters showed up hours earlier.
This event is being promoted by radio host Lars Larson, which could result in a larger turnout than a similar event that was held at the Capitol on Nov. 7, 2020.
Remember that Oregon is an open carry state. However, weapons are not allowed on the Willamette campus. If you observe anyone with a weapon, do not approach them. If you have concerns or are in need of assistance, call Campus Safety at 503-370-6911.
Based on the history of this group and the increasing concerns for the spread of COVID-19, we strongly advise students to avoid large gatherings such as these.
If you are asymptomatic and plan to join a protest:
- Wear a mask that fully covers your nose and mouth.
- Strongly consider wearing or having ready access to goggles or eye protection for added protection (avoid wearing contacts).
- Bring hand sanitizer and use frequently.
- Avoid sharing drinks, carrying other people’s signs, or touching objects that others have touched. Bring your own water, food, or other personal items.
- Limit your group size and maintain six feet of physical distance whenever possible during the activity.
- Avoid those who are not wearing masks or face coverings.
- Avoid confrontations with members of groups known to engage in violence.
Make good decisions and be well.