Clinical Healthcare professions include: doctors, pharmacists, dentists, nurses, podiatrists, occupational and physical therapy, physician assistant training, athletic training, and other sport and/or health-related professions.
Blogs and Career Information
- Athlete Training and Health
- Harvard Health Blog
- Mayo Clinic
- Motivate MD - Medical Student Blog
- Pre Health Dreamers Includes information on scholarships and internships, navigating medical school application and residency issues, and links to other resources.
- Specialty Athletic Training
- Stanford Medicine
- The PT Student
- Career Guide Series: Registered Nurse
- How to Become a Registered Nurse
- What is a Nurse Practitioner (NP)
LinkedIn WU Community
- WU LinkedIn Alumni Search for “Athletic Trainer”
- WU LinkedIn Alumni Search for “Dentist”
- WU LinkedIn Alumni Search for “Nurse”
- WU LinkedIn Alumni Search for “Pharmacist”
- WU LinkedIn Alumni Search for “Physical Therapy”
- WU LinkedIn Alumni Search for “Physician”
- WU LinkedIn Alumni Search for “Occupational Therapy”
- WU LinkedIn Alumni Search for “Veterinarian”
Job and Internship Search Resources
Willamette students interested in clinical healthcare careers do internship at locations around Salem, OR throughout the academic year and pursue numerous summer opportunities. Courses offered through programs like Exercise and Health Science helps students to connect with local Physical Therapy and healthcare clinics.
Students interested in building experience can consider the following:
Willamette’s student-run organization providing emergency services to the Willamette community and visitors.
This student-run organization provides opportunities to work with seriously ill children.
Student chapter of a national organization whose mission is to improve healthcare education and delivery worldwide.
Graduate School Resources
Most Willamette students interested in clinical healthcare professions pursue advanced education in their specific field of interest. These resources can help students explore possible career options:
Specific Programs and Degrees:
- Physical Therapy programs (DPT degree)
- The Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education has a listing of accredited programs.
- Occupational Therapy Graduate programs (DOT degree)
- Nurse Practitioner - Nurse Practitioner is a certificate awarded after the completion of a national certifying exam. Nurse Practitioners have completed either a Master's of Science in Nursing (MSN) or a Doctorate of Nursing Practice (DNP).
- Nursing (BSN degree)
- Degree Options, Specializations, and Expert Advice for Nurses
- Doctoral Resources in Nursing
- Physician's Assistance programs (PA degree)
- Athletic Training - Sports Medicine programs (ATC certification)
- National Athletic Trainers' Association
Students interested in medical school immediately after Willamette should prepare to take the MCAT the end of their junior year. Those students who intend to take a gap year after their undergraduate studies should plan to apply spring of senior year.