Planning is critical for a successful communications project. While Marketing and Communications focuses on developing and distributing key communications, we encourage you to plan all ongoing or significant communications efforts. If you answer the questions below and submit a project request, we'll review and offer advice, suggestions and alternatives for projects that fall outside of our scope.
We encourage you to complete a project request with as much lead time as possible. Projects take 4-8 weeks to develop, and we prioritize planned projects.
For the best chance of media coverage, event news should be distributed no later than the middle of the month prior to the event. Many media outlets and event calendars require six weeks or more notice.
Ask yourself these questions before initiating a communication project, such as creating a social media presence:
- What is your request?
- What is the purpose of the project?
- What is the most important audience for this project?
- What are other key audiences?
- What action do you want the audience(s) to take?
- What are the key/important dates to be aware of?
Our office, the media and your audiences will need information about your project, program or event, including:
- Pictures/video with captions (photographer, subject matter, time and location)
- Contact phone, email and website