Jump to a Topic
Add and Modify Events
Subscribe to Events
Create a new event
- Navigate to the Event Submission Form
- Log in with your Willamette University username and password
- Complete the event submission form (see details below)
Event Name & Options
Name of Event
Every event is required to have a name (up to 100 characters). The name of your event will appear on all calendar views and in the daily bulletin events feed. Some events will also be featured in the weekly bulletin.
Consider what would best inform users of the bulletin and calendar what your event is. If your event title is long, confusing or unclear from the title, you could enter something like "Science lecture with Dr. Yoda Beaker" or "Jazz concert with Louis Armstrong." You can then list the full event title at the beginning of the event summary.
Event Options Accordions
The Event Options Accordions correlate to the Event Options tool bar, allowing you to add: Categories, Locations, Contact information, Images, and attachments. Click an accordion to add this type of information to your event.
Note: The Products and Survey options are not enabled for the Willamette calendar.
In this area you will provide all of the basic information about your event.
Enter a short description of your event (up to 250 characters.)
Quickly introduces your event, appearing on select calendar views and website feeds. Use this space to grab the attention of persons browsing your site, to entice them to click on the event, to see the event’s full details.
Add a full description
Enter the full/complete description of your event (optional). By default, if you select this box, the system copies the current text in the summary into a Full Description area. This area is not limited to 250 characters, so you can more fully describe your event. The full description supports formatting, like bullet points, numbered lists, and hyperlinks. Additionally, the full description area allows for HTML format.
The description does not show on all views of the calendar site. It only shows on the event details page, when a site visitor clicks the event name or the event details icon.
When is the event?
Provide information about the date and time of your event here.
In this area you can create a repeating pattern or schedule for events that occur on more than one day, or provide the start and end date for events that only occur on a single day. Additionally this area allows for you to denote events as All Day events, for your events that do not have a set start and end time. A start date, end date, and time zone, are required. The other date and time fields are optional.
- All Day: Select this option if the event lasts all 24 hours in the date range specified. You can also select this option if the event does not have a set start and end time.
- This event repeats: Select this option to specify how often the event recurs (daily, weekly, monthly, etc.). If you select a recurrence option that requires it, an additional area opens for you to further specify the recurrence parameters.
- Do not show end date/time: Select this option to display only the start date and start time of an event. An end date and end time are still required to publish the event. This ensures the event will properly download and be displayed in personal calendars (such as Google Calendar and Microsoft Outlook) as well as in Event Sharing.
How to enter a repeating event
This event repeats: Select this option to specify how often the event recurs (daily, weekly, monthly, etc.). If you select a recurrence option that requires it, an additional area opens for you to further specify the recurrence parameters.
When is the Event?
IMPORTANT: In the date boxes enter ONLY the FIRST day of the event.
- Add the start and stop time
- Select the checkbox for “This event repeats”
Choose a recurrence schedule from the drop menu
- Select one of the recurring patterns and complete the custom fields, or
- Select Manually choose dates, then select custom dates from the calendar
If the event recurs every day for the next 14 days:
- Select “Every day” from the drop menu
- Choose “By Number of Occurrences”
- Enter "14" in the number field
The WU calendar administrators have set the default value for the time zone of University events. If a change is needed, use the drop down field to select the appropriate time zone for your event.
Every event created in Event Publisher will be assigned a unique URL. Please DO NOT EDIT the event URL.
Make this event Private
Selecting the Make this event private option hides the event from the general public. The event will only be visible to Willamette University authenticated users who have the appropriate rights and privileges.
Additionally, events that are private will not be shared to "aggregate" sites, and will (by default) be excluded from Sharing.
Make this event unlisted
Unlisted events do not appear on the calendar. The only way to view the event details is to have access to the event URL. In this way, the ability to view the event details are handled on a per-event basis.
Specify Publish/Unpublish Times
When publishing events to the calendar this feature allows for you to specify a range of dates during which the calendar event will be visible to visitors on the calendar.
It is best to leave this optional field un-checked.
Categories & Keywords
Categorize your events to make them easy to find.
This area allows you to specify values to make your events easier to find when a visitor searches the WU calendar site. This option consists of two content areas: Keywords and Categorization.
Group similar events together using Categories; this makes them easier to find when searching and sharing. Categorization supports assigning predefined category values to your events. These values are created and maintained by the administrator in the site settings page.
You can assign as many, few, or no categories to your event. Categories are best used for grouping similar events, such as placing all Admission events under the “Admission” event category.
- Only Selected Categories with a checkbox will be added to the event.
- Clicking the name of the Category will toggle the checkbox (checked or unchecked).
- Double-clicking the name of a Category will display sub-categories
- Any category with the ► symbol contains sub-categories
- A color code may be displayed to the left of the Category Name.
Keywords (optional) help users search for events, and are useful for grouping together related events that do not share the same categorization structure (see Categorization). For example, you can use the keyword “Family Weekend” to link together events for the annual Family Weekend activities.
- Separate each keyword (or keyword phrase) with a comma.
- Example: To add the keywords great and day you would type great, day,
The WU calendar will actively exclude commonly used words to ensure the most accurate search results.
Specify where your event is occurring by searching or browsing the list of locations. You can assign one or more locations to your event.
Select only the lowest-level location for your event in the tree structure, to avoid confusion. For example, if your location structure is WU Campus > Montag Center > Montag Den. You should select only Montag Den.
- Only Selected Locations with a checkbox will be added to the event.
- Clicking the name of the location will toggle the checkbox (checked or unchecked).
- Double-clicking the name of a location will display sub-locations, any location with the ► symbol contain sub-locations
Specify values for who to contact for your event. This information is publicly displayed for each event.
- Name: The name of the person to contact for this event
- Phone Number and Extension: The phone number and/or Extension of the person to contact for this event.
- Email Address: The email address of the person to contact for this event. Clicking on the contact email will open your default email client and allow you to compose a message to that person.
You can upload a maximum of 5 images, that are up to 3MB each, per event. Images should be at least 300 x 300 pixels.
Images can be uploaded to an event, or added to the event from the Media Library.
Important: Do not post copyrighted images to the calendar. See the Digital Content Guide for more information on copyright.
Upload new image(s)
- Browse: Click to open a file locator window, from which you can add one or more images to your event.
- Upload: Click this link after selecting an image to attach to your event. Images you have chosen display below the Image box. Select the check box in an image's left corner to designate it as “primary.” Your primary image is displayed first on your calendar page.
Select image(s) from the Media Library
- Click "Media Library"
- Select a category
- A list of images will be displayed
- Click the "Select" link to the left of the image you wish to use.
Set image attributes
- Primary Image Checkbox: Located at the left of an uploaded image selecting this check box sets an image as the primary image. A Primary image is the image used in the default listing of events, and is more prominently featured when a site visitor clicks on your event to see the details. NOTE: Even if your event only uses one image, you must select this checkbox. It is required for at least one image per event.
- Alternate Text: Each image has a label of up to 100 characters that displays when moused over. It is also used by visually impaired web browser assistance applications for WCAG conformance. By default, this text is the file’s name, but in most cases you can choose a better name for it. If you keep the file name, it’s best to remove the file extension (.jpg, .gif, or .png).
- Delete image: Click the red X to remove that image from the event.
Upload attachment(s) to your events to include additional information or files to a visitor. Attachments can be uploaded to an event, or added to the event from the Media Library.
Each event can have a maximum quantity of 5 attachments with a combined total size of up to 10MB.
Upload an Attachment
- Browse: Click to open a file locator window, from which you can add one or more Attachments to your event.
- Upload: Click this link after selecting a file. Files you have uploaded display below the Attachment box.
Select Attachment(s) from the Media Library
- Click "Media Library."
- A list of files will be displayed, click the "Select" link to the left of the file name you wish to use.
- Display Text: Each file has a label up to 100 characters long that displays as a link. By default, this text is the file’s name, but you can change it to something better. If you do keep the file name, remove the file's extension (.doc, .xlsx, .pdf, etc.).
- Delete attachment: Click the red X to remove that image from the event.
The following fields are currently not used by the WU calendar and should be left blank:
- Registration and products
- Attach a Survey
Submit Your Event
- After you have completed the form, click the Submit button.
- Your event will be sent to the calendar administrators for approval.
- You will receive an email when it is submitted and again once it is approved.
Optional: Save for later
Events can be created and saved in draft form for later submission.
- Create your event following steps 1-6 above.
- Click the Save button.
- Your event will be saved, but not submitted for approval yet.
Event approval process
For now, all events must be approved by the WebDev office (this process will eventually go back to the department calendar administrators).
Events will be approved twice per day, once in the morning, and again in the afternoon.
Modify an existing event
Important: You can only modify your own events. If an event that you don’t own needs to be modified, contact email@example.com.
- Navigate to the Willamette Calendar
- Sign in
- Hover over the left navigation bar to open it up
- Select “Events” from the left menu
- Search for event
- In the Actions column, click the drop menu
- Select Edit
- Make the needed changes
Subscribe to receive notifications
- Go to the main calendar: events.willamette.edu
- Click the search icon, then select the criteria for your search (e.g., date range, category/categories, location/locations).
- Click the search button to view your search results.
- In the right column, under the Subscribe section, click the Add Notifications icon (alarm clock)
- On the Add Notifications screen, enter your email address and check the I'm not a robot box
- Click Submit
Manage your subscriptionsThis option is available to those with a WU login (faculty, staff, students).
- Go to the calendar and sign in: events.willamette.edu
- Enter your Willamette username and password (if prompted)
- In the upper right corner, click My Profile
- Select the My Subscriptions tab to view and manage your subscriptions