We understand that having equitable access to campus resources and creating an inclusive environment for all our members is critical for their ability to learn and thrive and is a core foundation of our community and of a university education. We recognize that those who work, teach, and learn at Willamette come from a variety of backgrounds and hold diverse identities and it is precisely those differences that strengthen us as a community. We strive to foster an environment that welcomes, celebrates, and supports our diverse members and we welcome the challenges and conversations that come with this diversity. By committing to active engagement in the areas of equity, diversity, and inclusion, we benefit from the talent and experiences of all members of our rich community. We acknowledge that Willamette University, like many institutions, has a past that reflects a history of racism, sexism, homophobia, transphobia, and bigotry. By recognizing the harm we’ve caused in the past, we hope to heal old wounds and commit to working towards inclusivity and equity.
The purpose of the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is to deepen the University’s commitment to diversity through the following activities:
- Promote the centrality the university’s commitment to diversity and social justice;
- Create and support educational programs and dialogue related to diversity and social justice;
- Promote a diverse faculty and staff by assisting in developing effective recruitment and retention practices;
- Promote curricula and co-curricula that appropriately reflect diversity and social justice;
- Provide support, resources and advice for diversity and social justice efforts across campus; and
- Monitor and report annually on the diversity of the faculty, students and staff and provide an annual “report card” on the state of diversity on campus.