International students and scholars
International students and scholars, including J-2 or F-2 family members, are required to have health insurance. Good health insurance helps protect your ability to continue your study by managing healthcare costs.
Willamette University (WU) provides a health insurance plan through PacificSource.
You and your dependents are automatically enrolled.
(Note, this a medical plan only. It does not include dental coverage for adults.)
It is reasonably priced for the high level of coverage it provides.
- Meets the U.S. Affordable Care Act requirements.
- Meets "J" visa health insurance requirements, including medical evacuation and repatriation of remains.
Enrollment & billing to your student account are done via the Office of International Education.
- Enrollment is based on an annual period. Cost is billed to you in two pieces: once at the beginning of each semester. See the Cost table below for details. If you receive a waiver, the cost will be removed.
- One semester exchange students: You will be billed only for the term you attend Willamette.
- Even with insurance there are some costs that you have to pay in addition to the enrollment cost. However, insurance reduces the medical costs that might otherwise prevent you from continuing to study.
2020-2021 PacificSource Student Health Plan
|Student||$ 2,493*||$ 1,086*||$ 1,407*|
|Spouse**||$ 2,393||$ 1,036||$ 1,357|
|each Child**||$ 2,393||$ 1,036||$ 1,357|
*Includes $50 per semester administrative fee. Dependents do not pay an administrative fee.
** Dependents can only enroll if student/scholar is also enrolled.
Note: Insurance does not cover 100% healthcare costs. You pay the cost of the insurance plus you will pay the healthcare provider for costs that the insurance does not cover. These costs are called: co-pay, deductible, coinsurance, non-covered or excluded costs, etc. Purchasing insurance is a cost in addition to any of these balances.
Enrollment Application & Waiver Request
Use the current Health Insurance Enrollment & Waiver Request Form to Enroll in or Waive the insurance.
Option A: Enroll in the insurance
To Do: Follow instructions in the form. ID cards will be available online. You will receive a notice via email when it is available.
Option B: Waive (decline) the university insurance
What it is: If you bring health insurance coverage with you, you have one chance each academic year to ask if your insurance is eligible to replace the university's health insurance. This is called a waiver. Requesting a waiver does not guarantee you will receive a waiver. Use the Health Insurance Enrollment & Waiver Request Form.
Waiver Request Deadlines
Mon, September 14, 2020
|Academic year or Fall only students|
Mon, January 25, 2021
|Spring waiver applies only if your first term at Willamette is spring 2021. Thereafter your deadline will be in fall.|