International students and scholars
International students and scholars, including J-2 or F-2 family members, are required to have health insurance while at Willamette. Good health insurance helps protect your ability to continue your study by managing healthcare costs.
Willamette University (WU) provides a mandatory health insurance plan through PacificSource.
You and your dependents are automatically enrolled.
Note, this a medical plan only. Dental is NOT included for adults (over age18).
It is reasonably priced for the high level of coverage it provides.
- Meets U.S. Affordable Care Act requirements.
- Meets "J" visa health insurance requirements, including medical evacuation and repatriation of remains.
Enrollment & billing to your WU student account are done via the Office of International Education.
- Enrollment is on an annual period. Cost is billed to you in two pieces: once at the beginning of each semester. See the Cost table below for details.
- One semester exchange students: You are billed only for the term you attend Willamette.
- Note: Insurance does not cover 100% of healthcare costs. You pay the cost of the insurance (table below) plus you pay the healthcare provider for costs/balances that insurance does not cover. These costs are called: co-pay, deductible, coinsurance, non-covered or excluded costs, out-of-network costs, etc. Purchasing insurance is a cost in addition to any of these balances.
2021-2022 PacificSource Student Health Plan
|Student||$ 2,938*||$ 1,279*||$ 1,659*|
|Spouse**||$ 2,838||$ 1,229||$ 1,609|
|each Child**||$ 2,838||$ 1,229||$ 1,609|
*Includes $50 per semester administrative fee. No administrative fee for Dependents.
** Dependents can only enroll if student/scholar is also enrolled.
Costs will be reversed if a waiver request is approved.
Enrollment Application & Waiver Request
Use the current Health Insurance Enrollment & Waiver Request Form to Enroll in or Waive the insurance.
Option A: Enroll in the insurance
To Do: Follow instructions. ID cards will be available online on the PacificSource site. You will receive a notice via email when it is available.
Option B: Waive (decline) the university insurance
What it is: If you bring health insurance coverage with you, you have one chance each academic year to ask if your insurance is eligible to replace the university's health insurance. This is called a waiver. Requesting a waiver does not guarantee you will receive a waiver. Use the Health Insurance Enrollment & Waiver Request Form. The deadline cannot be extended.
Waiver Request Deadlines
Mon, September 13, 2021
|Academic year or Fall only students|
Mon, January 24, 2022
|Spring waiver applies only if your first term at Willamette is spring 2022. Thereafter your deadline will be in fall.|