Frequently Asked Questions

Have a question? We can help!

  1. What are the graduate housing rates?
  2. What is the availability?
  3. Do you offer family housing on campus?
  4. Can I bring my pet with me?
  5. What are my dining plan options?
  6. The dining plans are more than I want to spend, but I still would like to eat at Goudy. What are my options?
  7. When can I move in?
  8. Where can I park?

1. What are the graduate housing rates?

We have a few flexible options that allow for graduate students to pay for the experience they're looking for, whether that's a shared apartment or a private apartment with all of the amenities.


2020-2021 Graduate Housing Rates, per semester

University Apartment (1-bedroom):
1-occupant: $6,260; 2-occupants: $3,660

2. What is the availability?

There are 21 apartments on floors 1-3 of the University Apartments designated as graduate student housing.

For housing availability, please contact the Housing Office directly. For best availability, please contact us before July 15.

To contact the Housing Office, call (503) 370-6212 or email

3. Do you offer family housing on campus?

No. At this time, we do not offer family housing on campus.  Only students who are enrolled at Willamette University, Atkinson Graduate School of Management, or the Willamette University College of Law may live on campus.

4. Can I bring my pet with me?

Pets are not permitted in residences. However, under the Fair Housing Act (FHA), a person with a disability may keep an emotional support animal (ESA) in the individual’s dwelling when there is an established need for the therapeutic nature of the animal that is connected to the individual’s disability.

Also, students with disabilities who require the use of service animals are permitted to bring such animals on campus provided they do not pose a substantial and direct threat to health or safety of others, and provided that the presence of the animal does not constitute a fundamental alteration to the nature of Willamette’s policies, practices, or procedures, including Willamette’s academic requirements. Visit the Accessible Education Services page for more information.


5. What are my dining plan options?

While graduate students are not required to purchase a dining plan, there are a variety of options. The University Apartments are a quick walk away from campus dining locations, including Rick's Cafe, Goudy Commons and Kaneko Commons.

Click here for more information about the Dining Plans and food service options.

2019-2020 Dining Plan Rates

Dining Plan Meals Per Week Points Per Semester Rate Per Semester How I Eat
Bearkitten (Plan 1) 7 AYCE 650 $3,180 I'll eat a small breakfast and lunch. Plus a dinner.
Bearcat (Plan 2) 7 AYCE 750 $3,240 I'll eat a small breakfast, a regular lunch, and dinner. Plus occasional snacks.
(Plan 3)
7 AYCE 1300 $3,710 I'll eat a regular breakfast and lunch, plus dinner and some snacks.
Star Trees (Plan 4) 5 AYCE 900 $3,290 I'll eat a small breakfast, lunch and dinners during the week.
Flex      (Plan 5) 50 AYCE Meals Per Semester 450 $2,060 For juniors, seniors, and graduate students only. I'm only on campus a few days a week.

Meal Schedule

Sun Mon Tues Wed Thurs Fri Sat
Breakfast P P P P P
Lunch P (BR) P P P P P A (BR)
Dinner A A A A A A P

A = All You Care to Eat (AYCE) Meal
P = Points Meal
BR = Brunch

6. The dining plans are more than I want to spend, but I still would like to eat at Goudy. What are my options?

You can still eat at any of the Bon Appetit venues on campus, such as Goudy Commons, Kaneko Commons, or Rick's Cafe. All point-of-sale registers can accept cash, debit, or most credit cards.  However, it's a better idea to load funds on your Compass Card for use throughout campus.

Willamette's Compass Card is named for the University's compass logo, is a one-card system of identification, building access, and campus commerce. When Compass Cash is used at a Bon Appetit venue, you get a 10% rebate at the register.

7. When can I move in?

After you submit your housing contract to the Housing Office, you will receive a confirmation email with more information regarding the moving process and timeline. In general, graduate students will be able to move into their assigned space the weekend before their first day of class.

8. Where can I park?

Parking permits are required year-round. Most students opt for a "Standard" parking permit. This type of permit gives access to all "Standard" designated lots. The closest options to graduate housing include parking spaces along Mill St., the large lot outside of Sparks Athletic Center, and the large lot directly across from Shepard Hall, immediately outside of the University Apartments. For more information regarding permit pricing and other transportation options, please visit the "Campus Safety: Parking and Transportation" page.

Willamette University

Residence Life and Housing

Matthews Hall, 1st floor
900 State Street
Salem Oregon 97301 U.S.A.
Phone: 503-370-6212
Fax: 503-370-6709
Hours: M-F, 8 AM - 5 PM (PST)

Back to Top