Willamette University is committed to the emotional, social, cultural, intellectual and ethical growth of each student. Students and faculty enjoy close working relationships and the CAS Advising process has been designed to further support these arrangements. All undergraduate students work directly with a faculty advisor as an integral part of designing their total educational plan.

While the student is ultimately responsible for ensuring that all graduation requirements are met, the academic advisor can provide information and assistance at all stages of the student's college career. It is expected that the student and their advisor meet at least one time every semester to plan both the coming semester program and the total four year program. For entering freshmen, the advising will focus on meeting the General Education requirements and any faculty member, irregardless of their department affiliation, may serve as an advisor for students who are undeclared. Students have the option to request a change of advisors at any time by completing a "Change of Advisor" form in the Registrar's Office. Also, if you declare or change a major, an advisor change will occur simultaneously.

Before a student reaches Junior standing, they are required to declare a major. Students then choose an advisor in the major field and commence planning the remaining two years of college to meet both the major requirements as well as remaining general education courses and electives which will be well integrated with their areas of specialized interests.

Transfer students are assigned advisors according to their designated major prior to their initial semester at Willamette. It is strongly recommended that transfer students meet with their assigned advisor immediately to ensure that all major and CAS graduation requirements can be met in a timely manner.

Students who have been placed on academic probation by the Academic Status Committee are strongly encouraged to see their advisors as soon as possible to review their curricular, co-curricular and extra curricular activities.

If students are unable to get the assistance needed or have conflicts with their advisors or other faculty members, the Associate Dean is available for consultation by appointment. (Office of the Dean)

Willamette University

Academic Support

900 State Street
Salem Oregon 97301 U.S.A.

Back to Top