Use your WU application portal to Commit
If your application is ACCEPTED, complete the steps to Commit. Documents and instructions for the Acceptance/Commit process are in the portal. Below is an abbreviated list of Commit steps.
Complete Commit/Decline option in the portal
Deadline to commit to placement for 2023-2024 programs: Feb 28, 2023
To move your name forward as a participant, Commit to the offer.
Declining? If you do not want to participate, please Decline so WU officials do not register you as a participant.
- Deposit Policy: (PDF)2023-2024 The deposit goes directly into your student account towards the term of your program.
Complete the Agreements (in portal)
You are a representative of Willamette University. Be aware of what you are expected to know and what you agree to as a WU participant. This includes circumstances for being dismissed or withdrawn from a program, and how to withdraw.
Understand the Cost Information for Your Program
Review your program's cost information on the Willamette Sponsored Programs Cost Matrix.
- First page: Note the "explanation of costs" before looking for information about your program.
- Amounts change OFTEN and are based on the information that was available to the Office of International Education when the document was produced.
- Actual verified amounts will be given to students in their pre-departure process.
- Use this document to help you start a budget. It is not representative of every possible cost.
Apply for Willamette Study Abroad Scholarships
Details, due dates and applications are found in the Willamette study abroad portal at the time decisions are released. There are multiple scholarships open to WU students on WU Sponsored Off Campus Study programs. Students submit one application to be considered for any scholarships for which they are deemed eligible.
Study Abroad Pre-departure Overview
In your portal, the Overview document will help you know what to expect as you prepare to study abroad. Copies will also be posted here.
Study Abroad Handbook
Participants receive access to a handbook in the online portal after the Commit step. Read the handbook before and throughout the experience in order to get information when it is most needed. Includes: Academic and logistical planning tips, health and safety resources, intercultural resources, moving towards a successful return to Willamette, and much more!
Next Steps – Pre-departure Phase
More to do! You will have other steps to complete. You will receive instruction for completing these during the term prior to your program. Some steps will be done in the portal and other tasks and steps will come to you in other ways.
You are expected to fully participate in meetings and meet all the required steps of your specific program. Monitor your portal Messages and Announcements. Monitor your WU email for other instructions.
Information requested by WU and signatory agreements include:
- Emergency Contact Information
- Health Information Student Self-Assessment
- Off-Campus Study Authorization/Release Agreement (signature document)
- Code of Student Conduct Agreement (signature document)
- Financial Aid Acknowledgement
- Health Insurance Information - coverage the student will have while abroad
- Credit Conversion/Equivalency Form - Complete in semester PRIOR to the program term. List all courses you want to take or could potentially take at the program site. You will to get prior credit approval and/or a basic review of what credit to expect from your choices. Instruction on using this form will be given at the Site Specific Pre-departure Meeting. You may receive a specific program form or a "generic form."
- Regardless of the courses you take or the amount of credit each course earns, ALL grades from WU Sponsored programs will appear on your official WU transcript.
- GPA: Credit does NOT count in your WU GPA unless you contact the WU Registrar to ask that they be included in your GPA. This request must be made PRIOR to the start of your last semester at Willamette.
- The grades appear on your transcript no matter what.
- All or nothing: If you opt to include the grades in your WU GPA, ALL grades will be counted. There is no option to count some grades only.
AFTER you commit to your WU study abroad offer:
- After you commit, WU will nominate you as a WU participant with the officials of your program. This will happen when the host program is ready to collect that information.
- Next, OIE will notify you when it is time to begin working directly with your program site staff and processes.
- Do not start any host program registration/enrollment/application materials until OIE lets you know it's time to start!
Working with your Program: For every program there are at least two sets of processes. Those of Willamette University and those of your host program.
- WU's role consists of identifying you as a suitable candidate for the program, directing you in the WU requirements for participation, preparing you for your experience, and providing guidance as you work through your host program's processes.
- Your hosting program sets its own requirements and processes for setting you up as a participant.
- Additionally, any country-required steps, such as getting a visa, are your responsibility although we are ready to provide guidance.