Community Service-Learning (CSL) at Willamette University is searching for the Summer 2023 Jump Start Lead Coordinator(s) for the Leadership & Social Change (LSC) program. Prior experience with what was the Service, Leadership, and Sustainability Jump Start program is welcomed but not required. Applicants should have demonstrated experience as a volunteer organizer, motivator, and/or coordinator. Lead Coordinators of the LSC will assist in designing, implementing, and assessing this reenvisioned, pre-orientation program that will focus on bringing the university motto of “Not unto ourselves alone are we born…” to life. Successful LSC leaders will be accommodating and willing to assist with cultural and racial transitions, model a commitment to community engagement and lead by example by honoring peer identities, backgrounds, and life experiences. They should also enjoy working with new students, be open to sharing about their WU experiences, and be comfortable speaking in front of small and large groups.
- Develop programs and activities that focus on successful social, cultural, and practical transitions to university life;
- Work collaboratively with campus offices and programs (e.g. Admissions, Athletics, CLA, International Education, Opening Days, Residence Life and Housing) to welcome and orient all new students and their families to Willamette University;
- Serve as an academic and co-curricular resource to incoming first year students;
- Assist LSC Advisor (Asst. Dean) with program’s logistics pre, during and post program;
- Understand and operate within the program’s operating budget;
- Model a willingness to learn and grow in a community based environment.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively in a fast-paced, high-profile, position;
- Excel as a team player while maintaining a high energy level, enthusiasm and stamina especially during long days;
- Effective interpersonal communication;
- Demonstrate extensive knowledge regarding WU resources and services;
- Ability to facilitate small and large group discussions, activities, and reflection;
- Possess a high level of maturity, self knowledge, and an ability to use independent judgment;
- Desire to make a difference in the lives of new students and within the community;
- Exhibit leadership, initiative, dependability, discipline and self-confidence;
- In good standing (academic and student conduct) with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.50;
- Committed to attending all training sessions;
- Committed to attending the full session of the LSC program;
- Must have plans to be enrolled as a student during the fall semester;
- Possession of a valid driver’s license and successful completion of the safe driver program at WU preferred.
- LSC leaders will participate in up to two mandatory spring training session, unless they are abroad or absence is otherwise approved before position appointment. Leaders will have mandatory training sessions in August prior to the start of the LSC program. Due to COVID 19, training schedules are a fluid process and no dates are currently set at this time.
- Spring Training Post Finals (May 6th ) to be determined after leadership is hired.
- Summer Training Program Dates: All LSC leaders return to campus early for training or preparation of their programs. Those dates are TBD. At this time, we are moving forward with the current calendar for 2022-23 (Tues Aug 16-Fri Aug 19 – tentatively) but is subject to change based on unforeseen circumstances.
- Dates to Remember:
LSC Training Spring 2022 (after May 6th : 1-2 days)
LSC Training August 2022 (Tues Aug 16-Fri Aug 19 – tentatively)
LSC Program 2022 (Sat August 20- Wed August 24 – tentatively)
Opening Days Starts: August 24, 2022
First Day of Classes: August 29, 2022
- All meals, housing (on-campus students) and program costs will be covered during trainings as needed and through the conclusion of the program.
- Leadership awards will be offered to each student who gains a position. The amount is TBD and subject to your personal financial aid package.