Google's email web interface has a built in chat system now associated with Google Hangouts. Things to note:
- You can manage your chat settings via your mail settings on the "Chat" tab.
- A green status icon means the person is available to chat, yellow means the person is away from the computer, and red means the person is busy or does not want to be disrupted.
- You can click the down-arrow icon that appears when you hover over your own name to adjust your status icon, message, or even set yourself "invisible."
- If a person is invisible he or she cannot be seen by others' chat lists.
- To manage whether or not a person shows up on your chat list hover over his or her name, click the "More" button, and then choose the option you want.
Google Hangouts is integrated with your Willamette account and can be used for text chat, video and voice communications with other Google users. Start a chat with someone via the gmail interface, then click the video-camera icon in the upper-left corner of your chat window. Add additional people to the chat and hold virtual team meetings! Additionally, the Hangouts feature is now downloadable as a locally installed application similar to other calling / conference applications. See below for overview and instructions.