Google's email web interface has a built in chat system. Things to note:
- You can manage your chat settings via your mail settings on the "Chat" tab.
- A green status icon means the person is available to chat, yellow means the person is away from the computer, and red means the person is busy or does not want to be disrupted.
- You can click the down-arrow icon that appears when you hover over your own name to adjust your status icon, message, or even set yourself "invisible."
- If a person is invisible he or she cannot be seen by others' chat lists.
- To manage whether or not a person shows up on your chat list hover over his or her name, click the "More" button, and then choose the option you want.
As of November 2022, Google Hangouts has been shutdown by Google and replaced with Google Chat and Google Meet. For more information about this transition, see below for information and instructions.