- The paper titled "Graph Invertibility" co-authored by Associate Professor Erin McNicholas and Cam McLeman, University of Michigan, Flint has been accepted for publication in the journal Graphs and Combinatorics.
- On December 3, 2013, Associate Professor Peter Otto gave a talk titled "Rapid mixing of Glauber dynamics of Gibbs ensembles via aggregate path coupling and large deviations methods" in the Probability Seminar in the Department of Mathematics at Oregon State University.
- More news from alumni - Ally Stacey (WU 2012) shared with us that she recently passed the qualifying exams for the PhD program in the Department of Mathematics at Oregon State University. Congratulations Ally!
- News from alumni - Paul Hoard (WU 2013) recently notified us that he was accepted to the Master's Program in Economics at Duke University. Paul will start the program in January 2014. Congratulations Paul and Good Luck!
- In October 2013 Professor Colin Starr, Associate Professor Josh Laison, and alum Andrea Walker published the paper "Prime Distance Graphs and 2-Odd Graphs" in the Journal Discrete Mathematics.
- As part of the International Year of Statistics, Statistics 2013 - Oregon is a Bernoulli Society sponsored public event held Saturday, October 12, 2013 at Portland State University. The event features a lecture by Tim Hesterberg of Google titled "Apps, Earthquakes, and Survival: some statistical stories from Google and beyond". Stat 2013 - Oregon is organized by a committee of faculty members from seven Oregon universities and is co-chaired by Associate Professor Peter Otto.
- News from alumni - Ian McGahan (WU 2013) has began working on his M.S. degree in Applied and Computational Mathematics at the University of Minnesota, Duluth. Ian reports that the semester has been going very well. Thanks Ian for the update and keep us posted!
- On September 25, 2013, Associate Professor Kathyrn Nyman was awarded the Lawrence D. Cress Award for excellence in faculty scholarship.
- The Willamette University Math Circle runs from September 24 through November 12, 2013. The Math Circle is led by Associate Professors Peter Otto and Mark Janeba with mathematics majors as student assistants.
- The Mathematics Department welcomes two new visiting members to the faculty this year: Peter Banwarth and Jordan Purdy.
- Mathematics professors Inga Johnson and Erin McNicholas, along with faculty members in Biology, Computer Science, Chemistry and Physics, received a 2012-2013 Hewlett Grant Award for their proposal titled STEM Colloquium Series: Promoting Interdisciplinary Communication & Collaboration.
Fall 2013 News and Events
900 State StreetSalem Oregon 97301 U.S.A.