The Willamette MBA offers an exceptional and unique opportunity for students interested in government, not-for-profit management and public service. As one of only two MBA programs in the world dually accredited by AACSB International (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business) and NASPAA: the Network of Schools of Public Policy, Affairs, and Administration, Willamette students interested in Public and Not-for-Profit Management gain direct understanding and experience with the issues of government and not-for-profit organizations and the proven management tools of business.
Willamette students also directly benefit from our proximity to the government offices of the State of Oregon, our active chapter of Net Impact, the Willamette University Center for Governance and Public Policy Research, the relationships we have developed with not-for-profit organizations through the PACE program and client projects, and rich resume building experiential elective courses such as "Not-for-Profit Management."
Job titles of alumni in public and not-for-profit careers include city manager, commissioner, regional development officer, director, community development manager, project officer, policy analyst, and other functionally oriented titles such as analyst, director, auditor and manager.
Students declaring Public and Not-for-Profit Management as their chosen area of interest must successfully complete three (3) of the elective courses from the required electve list that follows.
Elective courses in each area of interest are offered every year. It is possible that a specific course may not be offered in a given year and that previous courses will be replaced by new courses.
Required Elective Courses
- GSM 6013 - Grant Administration: Concept to Consequences (two-semester course)
- GSM 6201 - Public Policy Studies
- GSM 6203 - Seminar in Benefit-Cost Analysis
- GSM 6231 - Strategic Marketing for Public and Private Not-for-Profit Organizations
- GSM 6232 - Public Finance
- GSM 6265 - Not-for-Profit Governance and Management
- GSM 6274 - HR Management in the Public & Not-for-Profit Sector
- GSM 6295 - Public Relations and Crisis Communication
- GSM 7251 - Internship