- JD, New York University, summa cum laude, Order of the Coif
- BA, Harvard University, magna cum laude
Books, Chapters and Contributions
- "Nixon v. United States," in THE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF THE SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES (Macmillan Gale, David S. Tanenhaus ed., 2008).
- "State Sovereignty," in THE OXFORD INTERNATIONAL ENCYCLOPEDIA OF LEGAL HISTORY (Oxford University Press, Stanley N. Katz, ed., 2008).
- Teacher's Manual for Breyer, Stewart, Sunstein, and Vermeule, Administrative Law and Regulatory Policy: Problems, Texts and Cases (6th ed. 2006).
Law Review Articles
- Legislative Redistricting in the Time of COVID, 25 Lewis & Clark L. Rev. 953 (2021).
- One Person, One Vote and the National Party Conventions (work in progress)
- Reforming the Electoral College: Federalism, Majoritarianism, and the Perils of Sub-Constitutional Change, 100 Georgetown L.J._(forthcoming 2011)
- Legislative Redistricting in Oregon: A Primer, 71 Or. St. Bar Bulletin 27 (Feb/Mar. 2011).
- Book Review, "Gibbons v. Ogden, Law, Society in the Early Republic," 50 American Journal of Legal History_(forthcoming 2011)
- The New Protectionism and the American Common Market, 85 Notre Dame L. Rev. 247 (2009) (co-authored with Brannon Denning).
- Direct Democracy, The Guaranty Clause and the Politics of the Political Question Doctrine: Revisiting Pacific Telephone, 87 Oregon L. Rev. 979 (2009).
- The Foundations of the American Common Market, 84 Notre Dame L. Rev. 409 (2008).
- Taking Care of Ourselves: State Citizenship, the Market, and the State, 69 Ohio St. L.J. 469 (2008).
- The Commerce Clause and the Myth of Dual Federalism, 54 UCLA L. Rev. 1847 (2007).
- Executive Review in the Fragmented Executive: State Constitutionalism and Same-Sex Marriage, 154 U. Penn. L. Rev. 565 (2006).
- Why Congress May Not 'Overrule' the Dormant Commerce Clause, 53 UCLA L. Rev. 153 (2005).
- The Dormant Commerce Clause: Why Gibbons v. Ogden Should Be Restored to the Canon, 49 St. Louis Univ. L. J. 817 (2005).
- The People's Constitution, 57 Stanford L. Rev. 257 (2004).
- Gibbons, 79 N.Y.U. L. Rev. 1398 (2004).
- The Failings of Originalism: The Federal Courts and the Power of Precedent, 37 U.C. Davis. L. Rev. 761 (2004).
- Suburbanization and Market Failure: An Analysis of Government Policies Promoting Suburban Growth and Ethnic Assimilation, 27 Fordham Urb. L. J. 197 (Oct. 1999) (co-authored with William E. Nelson).
- Rising Above Factionalism: A Madisonian Theory of Judicial Review, 69 N.Y.U. L. Rev. 963 (Oct.-Nov. 1994).
- "Legislative Redistricting in Oregon: A Primer," 71 Or. St. Bar Bulletin 26 (Feb./Mar. 2011)
- "Healthcare Reform and the Constitution," Op-ed, Oregonian , February 15, 2011.
- "Taking the Foxes out of the Legislative Henhouse," Op-ed, Oregonian, January 28, 2011.
- "The Immigration Debate: One (Mexican) American's View," Op-ed, Oregonian , May 15, 2006.
- "Special Trial Judges after Ballard: A Call for Reform," Tax Notes, May 23, 2005, p.1033.
- "The U.S. Tax Court: A Return to Fair and Transparent Proceedings," in For the District of Oregon, a quarterly newsletter of the Oregon chapter of the Federal Bar Association, Summer 2005.
- "People's Law," Op-ed, Oregonian , March 17, 2004.