William Forster joins the Willamette MBA faculty fall semester 2018. Prior to his arrival at Willamette University, he served on the Lehigh University faculty for nine years. Professor Forster was also an Instructor of Management at the United States Air Force Academy and was awarded an Air Force Ph.D. Fellowship.
He has twelve years' experience as an Air Force officer and worked as both a financial and project manager in numerous technology-development programs. His research interests include the following:
- Entrepreneurial Decision-Making
- New Venture Teams
- Business Ethics
- Social Entrepreneurship
University of Virginia, Darden School of Business
Phd - Business Administration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy, and Business Ethics
University of Colorado
Master of Business Administration, Technology Management and Finance
Air Force Institute of Technology
Master of Science, Cost Analysis
United States Air Force Academy
Bachelor of Science, Management
Willamette University, Atkinson Graduate School of Management
Associate Professor of Strategic Management (with tenure), 2018-Present
Lehigh University, College of Business and Economics
Associate Professor of Management (with tenure), 2016-2018
Assistant Professor of Management, 2009-2016
United States Air Force Academy, Management Department
Instructor of Management, 2003-2005
- Cardon, M., Post, C.A., & Forster, W.R. (2017). The Emergence and Influence of Team Entrepreneurial Passion in New Venture Teams. Academy of Management Review.
- Pollack, J.M., Forster, W.R., Johnson, P.D., A. Coy, & Molden, D. A. 2015. Promotion- and Prevention-Focused Networking and its Consequences for Entrepreneurial Success. Social Psychological and Personality Science, 6(1): 3-12.
- Forster, W.R. & Ramesh, A. (2013) From Goldilocks to Gump: A Research Agenda for Entrepreneurial Mechanisms Design. Academy of Management Best Paper Proceedings. *Winner of the 2014 Best Conceptual Paper Award, Entrepreneurship Division.
- Venkataraman, S., Sarasvathy, S.D., Dew, N. & Forster, W.R. (2013) Dialogue: Of Narratives and Artifacts. Academy of Management Review, 38(1).
- Brown, J.A. & Forster, W. R. (2013) CSR and Stakeholder Theory: A Tale of Adam Smith.Journal of Business Ethics, 112(2).
- Venkataraman, S., Sarasvathy, S.D., Dew, N. & Forster, W.R. (2012) Reflections on the 2010 AMR decade award: Whither the promise? Moving forward with entrepreneurship as a science of the artificial. Academy of Management Review, 37(1).
- Forster, W.R. & Jansen K.J. (2010) Co-Creating New Ventures: Attraction, Search, and Uncertainty in Founding Partnership Formation. Frontiers of Entrepreneurship Research, 30(10).
- Hayward, M. L., Forster, W.R., Sarasvathy, S.D., & Fredrickson B. L. (2010) Beyond Hubris: How Highly Confident Entrepreneurs Rebound to Venture Again. Journal of Business Venturing, 25(6). *Selected by the Academy of Management’s Entrepreneurship Division as a 2009 research exemplar paper.
- Ferrante, C. J., Green, S. J. & Forster, W. R. (2006) Getting More out of Team Projects: Incentivizing Leadership to Enhance Performance. Journal of Management Education, 30(6).