Jake D. Hoskins, PhD is an Assistant Professor of Data Science and Marketing in the Atkinson Graduate School of Management. He was previously on the faculties of Westminster College (Salt Lake City, UT) and Millsaps College (Jackson, MS). Jake received his PhD in Marketing from the University of Utah (’15), and a pair of Bachelor’s degrees from California State University, Chico (’09).
His academic research utilizes rigorous econometric modeling techniques on Big Data to empirically address managerially relevant questions in the topical domains of product management, retailing, and online business. Publications from these research efforts have appeared in various outlets, including: Strategic Management Journal, Journal of Management, and Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science.
Jake has worked in the Retailing (Walgreens) and Banking industries (UBS Financial; Umpqua Bank), where he most recently was a Data Scientist. In this role, Jake built quantitative models to leverage internal and vendor supplied data to service internal clients spanning a wide departmental range, including: Credit Risk Administration, Treasury, Product Management, Customer Analytics and Frontline Strategy. Tools leveraged included R, Python, SQL, SAS, Azure Databricks, Apache Spark, and Excel.
- PhD in Business Administration, University of Utah
- California State University, Chico
Areas of Instruction
Marketing; Marketing Analytics; Data Analysis; Data Science; Data Engineering
Product Management; Retailing; Online Word of Mouth; Innovation; Marketing Strategy; Niche Brands; Private Labels; Donor Behavior; Econometrics; Big Data
- Hoskins, J., S. Gopinath, J. Verhaal & E. Yazdani (Forthcoming), “The influence of the online community, professional critics and location similarity on review ratings for niche and mainstream brands”, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, Available Online: Apr. 8, 2021.
- Hoskins, J. & A. Griffin (Forthcoming), “How a brick-and-mortar retailer’s strategic focus on niche (versus mainstream) brands influences category sales”, Journal of Product & Brand Management, Available Online: Jul. 1, 2020.
- Hoskins, J., J. Verhaal & A. Griffin (2021), “How within-country consumer product (or brand) localness and supporting marketing tactics influence sales performance”, European Journal of Marketing, 55(2): 565-92.
- Hoskins, J. (2020), “The evolving role of hit and niche products in brick-and-mortar retail category assortment planning: A large-scale empirical investigation of U.S. consumer packaged goods”, Journal of Retailing & Consumer Services.
- Hoskins, J. & R. Leick (2019), “Fraud abroad: GDP per capita, online customer reviews and vacation rental unit booking rates in the sharing economy”, Journal of Research in Interactive Marketing, 13(2): 249-75.
- Hoskins, J. & A. Griffin (2019), “New product performance advantages for extending large, established fast moving consumer goods (FMCG) brands”, Journal of Product & Brand Management, 28(7): 812-29.
- Hoskins, J. & B. Brown (2018), “On the contrasting strategic impact of online customer reviews for niche and mainstream organizations”, Journal of Research in Interactive Marketing, 12(3): 347-69.
- Barlow, M., J. Verhaal & J. Hoskins (2018), “Guilty by association: Product-level category stigma and audience expectations in the U.S. craft beer industry”, Journal of Management, 44(7): 2934-60.
- Hoskins, J. & B. Brown (2017), “Hold firm or adapt? An empirical examination of the institutional appeal implications of maintaining the liberal arts college identity”, Journal of Marketing for Higher Education, 27(2): 188-212.
- Verhaal, J., J. Hoskins & L. Lundmark (2017), “Little fish in a big pond: Legitimacy transfer, authenticity, and factors of peripheral firm entry and growth in the market center”, Strategic Management Journal, 38(12): 2532-52.
- Hoskins, J. (2016), “Offering value and capturing surplus: A strategy for private label sales in a new customer loyalty building scenario”, Journal of Retailing & Consumer Services, 28: 274-80.
Honor, Awards and Distinctions
Excellence in Scholarship Award (Westminster College, ’19)
Commendation for Research Excellence (Millsaps College, ’17)
Thomas Hustad Best Student Paper (IPDMC, ’17)
Best Paper Proceedings (AOM Annual Meeting, ’17)
Monty & Christine Botosan Bridge to Practice Doctoral Thesis Award (U. Utah, ’15)
Dissertation Proposal Competition, 3rd Place (U. Illinois-Chicago, ’14)
Academic Achievement Award (CSU-Chico, ’09)