Willamette University’s BA/MBA program combines the powerful learning experiences of the College of Arts & Sciences and the Atkinson Graduate School of Management to prepare students for rewarding careers in entrepreneurial, business, consulting, government and not-for-profit enterprises.
BA/MBA Fast Facts
Fast Fact #1: BA/MBA students have the unique opportunity to pursue a liberal arts education in any CAS major and complete the BA and MBA in just five years.
Fast Fact #2: Willamette is a national leader in early career MBA education and is designed to help students build the knowledge and work experience needed to jump start their career.
Fast Fact #3: The Willamette MBA provides breadth and depth of knowledge through a strategic combination of required and elective coursework.
Fast Fact #4: The Willamette MBA emphasizes experiential learning through internships, consulting projects, in-depth case studies and innovative elective courses.
Fast Fact #5: BA/MBA students can successfully combine the BA/MBA with other CAS activities and athletics.
Eligibility to Apply for the BA/MBA
The first step in determining a student’s eligibility to apply for the BA/MBA is decided by the student’s CAS major advisor and/or department. Students, who by the end of their junior year will meet the following eligibility requirements established by the College of Arts & Sciences, may apply for admission to the BA/MBA.
* Completed at least 23 credits of CAS course work including general education requirements and most courses required for their major. The 23 credit minimum is the guideline established by the College of Arts & Sciences. However, CAS also notes that the specific courses and number of CAS credits a student must complete to be eligible to apply to the BA/MBA is determined by the CAS major department.
Students who meet the minimum 23 credit requirement described above may complete up to two required CAS courses (such as senior seminar, thesis or other required CAS courses) during the first year of the BA/MBA program.
* Students who transferred to CAS are required to complete at least 8 credits at the College of Arts & Sciences including general education requirements and most courses required for their major. The 8 credit minimum is the guideline established by the College of Arts & Sciences. However, CAS also notes that the specific courses and number of CAS credits a transfer student must complete to be eligible to apply to the BA/MBA is determined by the CAS major department.
Students who meet the minimum credit requirements as described above may complete up to two required CAS courses (such as senior seminar, thesis or other required CAS courses) during the first year of the BA/MBA program.
BA/MBA Application Process
BA/MBA applicants should complete their application by March 1st of their junior year to receive maximum consideration for scholarship assistance. Application to the MBA segment of the BA/MBA program requires all of the following:
* Email from the CAS advisor or department chairperson stating the student has met requirements to complete the BA degree through the BA/MBA program, and listing all CAS courses to be completed during the senior year of study.
* MBA Application for Admission
* Official transcripts of all college/university course work
* Official copy of GMAT or General GRE score
* Two reference forms or letters of reference
* Two essays (essays are included in the application document)
BA/MBA Timeline and Curricular Path
Students admitted to the BA/MBA program begin MBA studies fall semester of their senior year.
BA/MBA students may begin the MBA program with zero, one or two required CAS courses remaining to be completed during the first year of the MBA program. Students who complete one or two CAS courses during the first year of the MBA program (senior year), will postpone one or two first-year MBA courses to the fifth year of study.
At the end of the senior year, BA/MBA students who have successfully completed all College of Arts & Sciences graduation requirements (including successful completion of MBA credits required for completion of the BA degree) are awarded the Bachelor of Arts degree.
BA/MBA students must complete a supervised MBA internship as part of their MBA graduation requirements. Students complete their internship during the summer between the senior and fifth years of study, or during the fifth year of study.
During the fifth year of study, BA/MBA students complete the second year MBA curriculum and any remaining MBA courses that were postponed during their first year of the MBA program.
At the end of the fifth year, BA/MBA students who have completed all BA and MBA graduation requirements are awarded the MBA degree.
Click to see the two year curricular path for BA/MBA students needing zero CAS courses, one CAS course, and two CAS courses when they begin the BA/MBA program.