If a student reaches the earnings limit and believes that there is additional need, or that the original award was too low, a letter may be submitted to the for a review of the aid package. Unfortunately, if a student has reached the maximum limit and wants to continue working, this is not justification for an increase, per federal regulations.

Both the student and their supervisor will be notified once the student's earnings are within 75% of their Federal Work-Study award. Appeals for extensions should be made as soon as possible before the student reaches the earnings limit. Two types of extensions are granted by the Financial Aid Office. If federal money is still available, a student may receive additional work-study money. If all federal money has been awarded and the employer is willing to pay 100% of wage costs, a student may be granted a non-work-study extension.

Willamette University

Office of Financial Aid

1st Floor Waller Hall
900 State Street
Salem Oregon 97301 U.S.A.
503-370-6273 voice
877-744-3736 toll free

Back to Top