All sessions will be held online using Zoom for oral presentations and discussion sessions, and using Gather Town for poster sessions. Registration for this symposium is required to gain access to these sessions, as the website with the links is password protected. The password is provided upon registration, at which time you can follow the link below to the detailed schedule and program, as well as access to the sessions.
Podium presentations will be live and held on Zoom; there will be no pre-recorded presentations. Presentations will be up to 8 minutes, followed by time for questions, for a total of 12 minutes per presenter. Presentations will begin every 13 minutes of the podium sessions.
Poster presentations will be held live online in a virtual conference hall called Gather Town. The virtual poster halls will be available for two hours after the poster session start time.
The basics of interacting in our Gather Town poster sessions:
- Getting set up: To enter the poster session, follow the link to the Gather Town space that is posted in the detailed outline and schedule page. You will need to name your avatar, adjust its appearance to suit you, and provide access to your microphone and video to interact on Gather Town. If you are concerned about your internet speed, we recommend turning off the 'HD Video Quality' in the user settings of Gather Town. You do not need to create a Gather Town account to attend our poster sessions. You do not need to download Gather Town to your computer. You will navigate the virtual environment from within your internet browser.
- Navigating the space: You can use the keyboard arrow keys to move your avatar around the virtual room to interact with other people and to view the posters. You can also double click on the screen where you want to go, and your avatar will walk to that spot. If you would like to adjust the zoom of the space, this can be found in the user settings of Gather Town.
- Interacting with other people in Gather Town: In order to be seen and heard, you must allow Gather Town access to your device’s microphone and video camera. When you are near another person, you will be able to see and hear them, and vice versa.
- To view a poster: To enlarge a poster on your screen and interact with the poster presenter and other people also viewing the poster, you must move your avatar in front of the poster (which is below it on your screen). A lighter gray shaded box will appear when your avatar is in the correct location, and then you can press ‘x’ on your keyboard to ‘enter’ the poster. Pressing ‘x’ again will exit that poster and allow you to walk around the poster hall again.
- Moving through a crowd: Posters may become crowded, and your avatar can get boxed in. You can still move your avatar by using 'ghost mode'. Press and hold ‘g’ on the keyboard to enter ‘ghost mode’ and move your avatar through another avatar to get where you need to go. Beware that when you press ‘g’ to enter ‘ghost mode’, you will not see or hear those nearby, and you will not be seen or heard.
- Additional resources: Prior to our conference, all participants (presenters and viewers) are encouraged to explore the Gather Town ‘live walkthrough’ to become accustomed to the interface. In addition, help files are posted here. Gather is supported on Chrome, Firefox, and Desktop Safari (in Beta). For help configuring your web browser, see here. Computer specifications recommended for using Gather are found here.
NOTE: All times are in Pacific Daylight Time
Thursday, July 15, 2021
Podium Session 1 - Sports
Roundtable Discussion 1
ASB Keynote Presentation: Elizabeth T. Hsiao-Wecksler
Poster Session A
Open for social time until 4:15 p.m.
Friday, July 16, 2021
Podium Session 2 - Muscle & Movement
Poster Session B
Podium Session 3 - Running & Walking
Roundtable Discussion 2
Awards and closing session