Academic Accommodation Request Process
Academic accommodations exist in order to enable individuals with disabilities to have an equal opportunity to participate in their academic program. To request disability-related academic accommodations, follow this process:
- Schedule an appointment with the Accessible Education Services (AES) office to discuss your situation
- Bring appropriate disability documentation to your appointment or fax it to the AES office
- Once you are determined eligible, receive your letter of accommodation from AES
- Share your letter of accommodation with your professors and discuss in-class accommodations with them *
- Notify the AES office of any barriers to equal opportunity or if accommodations are not working
*Some students in the graduate programs request total confidentiality. In those cases, the liaison of the particular program and the Accessible Education Services office will facilitate the accommodations.
All accommodations should be requested prior to the start of the term or within the first few weeks. For accommodations such as books in electronic format, interpreters, or any situation that involves extra time to implement, students are to contact the disability office as soon as they have been admitted or, for returning students, once they have selected their classes for the next semester.
Housing Accommodation Request Process
Students with disabilities may request disability-related housing accommodations through the Office of Accessible Education Services. An individual with a disability is defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act as a person who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, a person who has a history or record of such an impairment, or a person who is perceived by others as having such an impairment. Please follow the Housing Accommodation Request Process when requesting disability-related housing accommodations. For more information about housing accommodations, including service animals and emotional support animals, visit our Disability Housing Accommodations page.
Decision Review Process
- Accessible Education Services (formerly Disability Services) Decision Review
- Accommodation Implementation Review