The WITS Help Desk is the source of technology assistance and information for Willamette staff, faculty, and students. We are regularly staffed by WITS professional staff and student support.
Here at the WITS Help Desk, we welcome your patronage. Our services are here to serve the benefit of the Willamette Community at large. Come on by with any computer or technology question you can think of and we'll do our best to answer it.
Windows or Macintosh.
We are Mac and Windows friendly here at the Help Desk. Heck we'll even take a swing at any Linux/Unix questions you may have (although our experience in these OS flavors may be limited).
Got a laptop?
Come on by any time (when we’re open anyway). We will try to help you with just about any problem you have with your computer.
Need help with your desktop?
Give us a call. Our physical space is not currently conducive to hooking up several desktops. We'll help you as best we can over the phone. Or come on by and ask your questions, but please don't bring your whole tower in without the approval of a Help Desk employee.
Just some of the Services we offer:
- Configuration of systems to utilize Willamette University network and features.
- Help with all kinds of software (too many to list).
- Internet and email support.
- Initial diagnosis of hardware problems.
- Assist with spyware/virus issues.
- Assist with installation of university-provided anti-virus software.
- Emergency data recovery (in a very limited form).
Here are some things to expect from your visit to the Willamette University Help Desk:
- Where you go, the computer goes. It is our firm policy that you stay with your computer while it is in our care (you can't just drop it off on your way to class).
- We’re here to help you help yourself. The Help Desk can be a place of learning, so we will do our best to guide you towards a solution, rather than just do the work for you.
- Be prepared to stay. Sometimes it can take a while to diagnose and solve problems, be sure you have plenty of time to devote to the task.
- Bring your power cord. Even if you have a full battery, pack your power cord along. We do not have spares at the Help Desk and the last thing we want to happen is your computer to run out of juice while being worked on.
- We may be busy. We do our best to handle everything on a first-come-first-serve basis. There is a chance that when you show up, we will be helping other people and might not be able to assist you right away.
- Priority is given to Academic/University business over personal issues.
- We cannot perform any hardware repairs. While we can assist you in determining what may be wrong with your computer, we are not allowed to do any physical repairs. Those are best left to the Manufacturer (Dell, Apple, etc) or a trusted repair shop.
There is some fine print:
- We do try to help with as much as possible, but there is more out there than anyone could possibly know about. The focus of our abilities lies with the most current, most common issues. If your question is about uncommon or outdated hardware/software we may not have an immediate answer for you.
- Our priorities are foremost about keeping you and your computer academically capable. Support for non-academically related issues will take a back seat if we get busy.
A few things we will not help you with:
- Prohibited network equipment (wireless routers etc.).
- Games of any kind.
- File-sharing of any kind.
- System Software Disks. We do not have (nor would it be legal for us to provide) Windows or Macintosh Operating System disks for you to use.
- Anything illegal, or deemed inappropriate in the eyes of Willamette University. See our policies below for more information.
Contacting the WITS Help Desk
|Our primary help desk.|
Mon - Fr:
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Open During Breaks
On University Holidays
|A Westside location to help anyone from Law, AGSM, GSE, or anyone on that side of campus.|
Mon - Fr:
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Follows Law School Schedules
|To help with your after-hours needs.|
Mon - Fr:
6 a.m. - 10 p.m.
Follows Reference Desk Schedules