Scott D. Hawke
- PhD, University of California, Riverside, 1970
Teaching PhilosophyMy teaching philosophy is to challenge students and thereby cultivate their critical thinking about issues that are central to what we are as human beings.
Differential Decomposition of Plant Leaves
Heavy Metal Uptake by Herbaceous Plants
Advised Student Research
- Chemoreceptive Response to Various Natural Fruit Juices in the Blowfly (Sarcophaga bullata). By Brian L. DeGiovanni
- The Effects of Ribonuclease I-A on Rates of Conditioning and Retention of a Conditioned response in the Freshwater Planarian Dugesia dorotocephala. By Stephen J. Nemec
- The Effects of Poaching on the Population Composition of African Elephants (Loxodonta Africana) in the Tarangire Region of Tanzania. By Leili’a Panui
- Identification Methods for Cultivated Paleobtotanical Remains with 1983 Sample from Numeria, Jordan, Including Scanning Electron Microscopy. By Aime S. Shields
- Anti-microbial Activity in Decomposition of Leaves of Mountain Alder, Alnus tenuifolia. By Richard Townley.
- Heavy Metal Deposition in Water, Soil and Vegetation of Opal Creek Mining District. By Jon McNeil and Brian Gilmore.
- Hawke, S.D., S. Stavrianeas, and G. Tallman. 2006. Investigative learning in introductory physiology. CUR (submitted for publication)
- Hawke, S., S. Kephart, and G. Tallman. 2004. Reassessing workload in an undergraduate program. CUR Quarterly 25 (4): No. 65. http://www.cur.org/publications/TimeVignettes.asp.
- Hawke, S. and T. Haring-Smith. 2002. Undergraduate-mentored research in the liberal arts. CUR Quarterly 23 (2): 85-90.
- Kwak, J.M., Y.Murata, V.M. Baizabal-Aguirre, J. Merrill, M. Wang, A. Kemper, S.D. Hawke, G. Tallman, and J.I. Schroeder. 2001. Dominat negative guard cell K+ channel mutants reduce inward-rectifying K + currents and light-induced stomatal opening in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiol. 127: 473-485.
- Allen, G.P., S.P. Chu, K. Schumacher, C.T. Shimazaki, D. Vafeados, A. Kemper, S.D. Hawke, G. Tallman, R.Y. Tsien, J.F. Harper, J. Chory, and J.I. Schroeder. 2000. Alteration of stimulus-specific guard cell calcium oscillations and stomatal closing in Arabidopsis det3 mutant. Science 289: 2338-2342.
- Hawke, S. D. 1998. An electron optical view of cadaver structure. HAPS- Educator. 2 (3): 5.
- Hawke, S. D. 1988. The biology seminar experience. Willamette J. Liberal Arts, Supplemental Series 1: 117-122.
- Hawke, S. D. and J. Ritter. 1988. Teaching biology behind prison walls. J. College Science Teaching XVIII (1): 22-25.
- Hawke, S. D. 1987. The electron microscope and the liberal arts. J. College Science Teaching XVI (5): 429-433.
- Hawke, S. D. 1983. Liberal arts and the biology seminar experience. J. College Science Teaching XIII (2): 88-90.
- Greany, P. D., S. D. Hawke, T. C. Carlysle, and D. W. Anthony. 1977. Sense organs in the ovipositor of Biosteres (Opius) longicaudatus, a parasite of the Caribbean fruit fly Anastrepha suspensa. Ann. Ent. Soc. Am. 70: 319-321.
- Hawke, S. D. 1975. Respiratory response of hepatopancreas tissue in the lined shore crab, Hemigrapsus nudus (Dana). Sci. Biol. J. 1 (4): 93-101.
- Hawke, S. D., R. D. Farley, and P. D. Greany. 1973. The fine structure of sense organs in the ovipositor of the parasitic wasp, Orgilus lepidus Muesebeck. Tissue and Cell 5: 171-184.
- Hawke, S. D. and R. D. Farley. 1973. Ecology and behavior of the desert burrowing cockroach, Arenivaga sp. (Dictyoptera, Polyphagidae). Oecologia 11: 263-279.
- Hawke, S. D. and R. D. Farley. 1971a. Antennal chemoreceptors of the desert burrowing cockroach, Arenivaga sp. Tissue and Cell 3: 649-664.
- Hawke, S. D. and R. D. Farley. 1971b. The role of pore structures in the selective permeability of antennal sensilla of the desert burrowing cockroach, Arenivaga sp. Tissue and Cell 3: 665-674.