Rachel Kinsman Steck joins the Theatre Department as Lighting Designer, and Production Supervisor from Imago Maske Ensemble where they held the position of production manager/lighting director. Previously, they could be found working as a lighting designer, production manager, and electrician for Diablo Ballet, California Shakespeare Theatre, Berkeley Repertory Theatre, Smuins Ballet/SF, Theater of Yugen, Oregon Contemporary Theatre, Portland Playhouse, CoHo Productions, the Berkeley Opera, Woman's Will, the Greater Buffalo Opera Company, Hallwalls Contemporary Arts Center, HAG Theatre, Litelab Corporation, and the New Jersey Shakespeare Theatre.
In addition, Rachel is also a member of the Women's and Gender Studies Program where they teach feminist theory, feminist theory in performance, queer theory, and masculinities. Rachel's areas of interest include: queer theory & performance, politics & performance, spectatorship & citizenship, sustainability & theatre practices, and Lighting design history & practice.
- Ph.D in Dramatic Arts, University of Oregon
- Master of Arts in Humanities, Women and Gender Studies, Theatre, and Film Studies, State University of New York at Buffalo
- BA in Arts & Performance, Wells College
Productions and Performances
Willamette University Theatre
- Lighting Designer, Wings of Fire (World Premier), by Haley Green & Austin Green. 2018.
- Lighting & Sound Designer, Burn This, by Lanford Wilson. 2018.
- Lighting Designer, Macbeth by William Shakespeare. 2016.
- Lighting Designer, Lear’s Daughters, by Women’s Theatre Group & Elaine Feinstein, 2016.
- Lighting Designer, Perception/Reality: A Dance Concert. 2016.
More Willamette productions
- Lighting & Sound Designer, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead, by Tom Stoppard. 2016
- Lighting Designer, Vincent in Brixton, by Nicholas Wright. 2016.
- Lighting Designer, The Feathered Mantle / The Weaver and The Dress, by Unknown / Judy Halebsky. 2016.
- Sound & Projections Designer, bobrauschenbergamerica, by Charles Mee. 2015
Regional and Local Theatre, Other Performances
- Sound Designer, Amanda Transcending, by Connie Bennett. Theatre 33, Salem, Oregon. 2018.
- Sound Designer, Martine Out of Time, by Nora Douglass. Theatre 33, 2018.
- Lighting & Sound Designer, Forgiveness Tree, by Kathleen Tomko. Theatre 33, 2018.
- Lighting Designer, Lost Dog, by Deb Vaughn. Theatre 33, 2018.
- Lighting Designer, Jesus Christ Superstar, by Tim Rice & Andrew Lloyd Webber. Performance Riverside, California, 2018.
More regional and local productions
- Sound Designer, Santa’s Bag, by Elisabeth Rothan & Allison Saucy. Theatre 33, 2017.
- Lighting Designer, Tenders of the Feet, by Ciji Guerin & Hal Logan. Theatre 33, 2017.
- Sound Designer, Shorn, by Nora Douglass. Theatre 33, 2017.
- Lighting Designer, 36 Perfectly Appropriate Mealtime Conversations, by Brianna Barrett. Theatre 33, 2017.
- Lighting Designer, Playhouse Creatures, by April de Angelis. CoHo Productions, Portland, Oregon, 2016.
- Touring and Production Consultant, The Gun Show, by E. M. Lewis. CoHo Productions, 2016.
- Lighting & Sound Designer, Christmas Carol, a 1940’s Radio Show, adapted by Thomas Nabhan from the short story by Charles Dickens. Theatre 33, 2016.
- Sound, Projections & Lighting Designer, Maresfield Gardens, by Susan Coromel. Theatre 33, 2016.
- Sound Designer, Maresfield Gardens. Spring Works Festival. Stratford, Ontario, 2016.
- Sound & Lighting Designer, Production/ Touring Consultant, Blonde Poison, by Gail Louw. Play On! Productions, Orlando Fringe Festival, Florida, 2016.
- Lighting Designer, Apple Season, by E. M. Lewis. Theatre 33, 2016.
- Lighting Designer, A Squirrel Boy, A Robot Cat, But Also Parent, by Jonathan Graham. Theatre 33, 2016.
- Lighting Designer, Sisters Folk Festival, Sisters, Oregon, 2015.
- Lighting Designer & Production/Touring Consultant, My Case is Altered: Tales of a 21st Century Roaring Girl, devised by Twenty-First Century Chorus. Urbana, Illinois, 2015.