Insurance Requirements - International students and scholars
International students and scholars, including J-2 or F-2 family members, are required to have health insurance. Good health insurance helps protect your investment in higher education by helping cover the cost of health care in the US.
Willamette University (WU) provides a student health insurance plan. You and your dependents are automatically enrolled. It is reasonably priced for the high level of coverage it provides.
- Meets the U.S. Affordable Care Act requirements.
- Meets "J" visa health insurance requirements, including medical evacuation and repatriation of remains.
- Enrollment is based on an annual period. Cost is billed to you in two pieces: once at the beginning of each semester. See the COST table below for dates of coverage and cost split information.
- Even with insurance, there are some costs that you will have to pay in addition to the enrollment cost. However, with insurance, you are less likely to have medical costs that would prevent you from continuing to study.
- Enrollment & billing are done via the Office of International Education.
- Pay WU at the same time you pay tuition and other charges.
- Scholars (non-student "J" visa-holders and dependents) are billed via invoice for the entire cost of their enrollment period.
2017/2018 PacificSource Student Health Plan
|Student||$ 1,760*||$ 769*||$ 991*|
|Spouse**||$ 1,660||$ 719||$ 941|
|each Child**||$ 1,660||$ 719||$ 941|
|** Dependents can only enroll if student/scholar is also enrolled.|
|* Administrative fee of $50 per semester included.|
2016/2017 Aetna Student Health Plan
|Student||$ 1,540||$ 667||$ 873|
|Spouse*||$ 1,540||$ 667||$ 873|
|each Child*||$ 1,540||$ 667||$ 873|
Enrollment Application & Waiver Request
At the START of each academic year, complete the current Health Insurance Enrollment & Waiver Request Form. This process cannot be done online.
Option A: Enroll
TO DO: Enroll in the insurance according to the form's instructions if your own insurance does not meet the insurance waiver criteria. You will automatically be enrolled in the university’s health insurance; however, it is helpful for us to collect your enrollment information early. We will enroll you in the insurance.
ID cards will be available online. You will receive a notice via email when it is available.
Option B: Waive (decline) the university insurance
What it is: If you BRING HEALTH INSURANCE coverage with you, you are not guaranteed a waiver but you have one chance each academic year to ask if your insurance is eligible to replace the university's student insurance for that academic year. This is called a waiver. GO TO WAIVE INSURANCE. Use the Health Insurance Enrollment & Waiver Request Form.Waiver Request Deadlines:
September 11, 2017 (academic year or fall only)
January 29, 2018 (if your first semester at WU is SPRING 2018)
Download information and the form in PDF format from this page. Look for 2017-2018 materials.
NOTE: Insurance does not cover the cost of healthcare expenses at 100%. You will pay to be in the insurance and for any charges and balances that the insurance does not cover. Purchasing insurance is a cost IN ADDITION to any of these balances after insurance pays for healthcare costs.