Any entering first-year student may apply for a Debate Scholarship. The scholarship is awarded on the basis of merit proven through accomplishments in high school, however, it does not require prior experience in a formal debate. Participation and good conduct are necessary for maintaining the scholarship beyond the first year. On rare occasions, students not receiving a scholarship during their first year are able to apply for a scholarship in later years.
There are three requirements needed to be considered for a debate scholarship at Willamette:
- Your application for admission to Willamette University
- A Debate Scholarship application
- Interview with Willamette's Debate Coach
Please ensure that you have the following items prepared prior to beginning your Debate Scholarship application:
- A reference letter from your debate coach or another recommender who can speak to your ability to contribute to the team — or —
- Contact information (full name and email) for the recommender you have selected so we can contact them for a reference
- Interviews with Willamette Debate Coach Natalie Lyell are required.
- You will be contacted after application submission to schedule your interview.