In order to request to defer enrollment to Willamette, students must:
- Submit the $500 non-refundable enrollment deposit on the applicant status page by the normal deposit deadline, signifying the student's intent to matriculate.
- Send an email requesting a defer to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will send you an online form to complete with further details of your plans for your deferral period.
- Complete the Request to Defer Form on the applicant status page by July 1.
Terms for approved deferrals
- The student is required to reply to Willamette’s offer of admission by submitting a $500 non-refundable deposit to hold their place in the future class by May 1, 2023.
- The student may not submit deferral deposits or hold spaces at any other institution.
- The student must notify all other colleges to which they have gained admission of their decision to enroll at Willamette.
- The student may not matriculate and/or enroll on a full-time basis at another college or university during the deferral period. However, students may take limited coursework to maintain academic focus.
- Deferrals will be granted for first-year students to enroll in the spring semester (January 2024) OR fall semester (August 2024). Requests to defer enrollment for two years will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Should the student choose to apply for admission to other colleges or universities during the deferral period, they will forfeit the deposit paid to Willamette, and must contact Willamette to officially close their application.
- The student is required to reconfirm their intention to enroll for Spring 2024 by November 20, 2023 and for Fall 2023 no later than February 15, 2024. Instructions on how to reconfirm will be sent via email.
After a Deferral Request has been Approved
- We will routinely approve requests provided you satisfy the requirements listed above within 2 weeks from the date the request was submitted.
- Once a request for deferral has been approved, the student will be notified via email that their application status has been updated.
- The student will need to login to the applicant status page to view the status of their request.
- The Office of Admission will notify deferred students via email when to submit the Deferral Confirmation Form in their applicant status page. The form allows students to reconfirm their intention to enroll and provide the Admission Committee with a summary of their experiences during the deferral period. The deadline to complete the Deferral Confirmation Form is November 20 (for spring deferrals) and February 15 (for fall deferrals). If the Office of Admission does not hear from the deferred student by the deadline, the student will forfeit the enrollment deposit and a place in the class.
- Eligibility for merit aid will be matched to the prior year award. While need-based aid generally stays the same, families are required to submit a FAFSA for renewal. FAFSA submission is encouraged by our February 1 priority deadline for new students.