The program is designed for students who have exhausted the course opportunities in one or more subject areas in their secondary school curriculum. Students must meet Willamette University's admission requirements, and, if admitted, be prepared to participate in all aspects of the Willamette course(s) in which they enroll.
- Students must be academically prepared and present application credentials that match or exceed those of Willamette's entering first-year students.
- Students must make arrangements to cover associated costs; financial aid from the University is not available.
- 2019-2020 tuition is $646.00 per course, per semester. The cost of this program does not include private music lessons.
- Students may take one or two courses per semester.
- Willamette University credit and an official transcript will be available upon request for completed courses (1 WU credit = 4 semester hours).
- Preference is given to applications completed by June 1 for fall semester and December 1 for spring semester.
- Complete the Gifted Scholars application.
- Submit a letter of recommendation from a secondary school counselor or classroom teacher.
- Submit a copy of the secondary school transcript.
- Submit official SAT, ACT, or PSAT scores. Score reports which may be listed on the official secondary school transcripts are acceptable, as is a screen school or copy of the email the student received from the test agency. Scores are not required but are highly encouraged.
- Sign and submit the financial responsibility statement.
- Once all required documents are received: the Admission Office will notify applicants of the admission decision in writing within four weeks.
- If admitted, the Gifted Scholars should determine the exact course number (including the section) and time and days of the week for the class desired. For class schedules, course descriptions, and the online Catalog, please click here.
- The Gifted Scholar should confirm that their secondary school schedule allows from the time required to take the Willamette class, and be certain the appropriate secondary school officials are aware of the student's plan to participate in this program.
- Gifted Scholars register for classes after full-time undergraduates have registered. Please see our online academic calendar to determine the first day of class.
- The Gifted Scholar should plan to arrive on Willamette's first day of class go directly to the classroom, introduce themself to the professor as a Gifted Scholar.
- Approval must come from the professor on the first day of class after the professor has determined that all degree-seeking full-time undergraduates have been accommodated.
- If space is available in the class, the Gifted Scholar should sit in on the first class session before proceeding to the Office of the Registrar (Waller Hall, first floor) to complete registration.
- Tuition payment is made at the Student Accounts Office (Waller Hall, first floor) after registration is complete and no later than the Add/Drop date as published in the Academic Calendar (approximately ten days into the semester).