Any entering first year student may apply for a Debate scholarship. The scholarship is awarded on the basis of merit proven through accomplishments in high school, and does not require participation on the team. Participation and good conduct are necessary for maintaining the scholarship beyond the first year. On rare occasions, students not receiving a scholarship during their first year are able to apply for a scholarship in later years.
There are two requirements needed to be considered for a debate scholarship at Willamette:
- Your application for admission to Willamette University
- A Debate Scholarship application
- Optional: Interview with Willamette Debate Coach
Please ensure that you have the following items prepared prior to beginning this application:
- A reference letter from your debate coach — or —
- Contact information (full name and email) for your debate coach (if applicable) or your high school principal so we can contact them for a reference
- Interviews with Willamette Debate Coach Robert Trapp are highly encouraged.
- You will be presented with options for scheduling an interview on the application.