Dear Willamette Community,
Our campus will open for normal operations on Wednesday, December 14. We will continue to monitor the weather and update the community on any possible delays or closures if circumstances change.
As a reminder, Willamette is a residential campus and rarely closes. However, from time to time, weather conditions are sufficiently extreme or hazardous such that operating the University would jeopardize the life safety of our students, faculty, and staff. When this happens, the University will respond in one of two ways:
1. Willamette will open late or close early, based on weather conditions; or
2. Willamette will close completely, canceling all classes and events and providing only essential services.
A decision to have a delayed start or early closure will be made by 6:00 am through the following channels:
1) Call the University switchboard for a recorded message at 503-370-6300. (Please do not call Campus Safety for this information).
2) Watch Portland area TV news stations and read the "crawl" message on the bottom of the screen.
3) Go to the Willamette University web page. An update will be posted at the top of the University's homepage and the AGSM and College of Law landing pages.
4) An all campus e-mail will be sent out.
If you are unsure whether it is prudent to travel in slippery conditions, you should use your personal judgment and make the right decision for yourself regarding coming to work or attending classes. If employees are unable to report to work because of the weather or because of child care issues related to the weather, they should contact their supervisor. Students unable to travel to campus should contact their professors. You should also plan ahead in the event that conditions change throughout the day - and note that even if Willamette remains open, local school districts may be delayed or closed.
Employees who decide to arrive late, leave early or stay home when the university is open are required to use leave time to cover hours out of the office, unless they have arranged with their supervisor to work remotely.
We recognize that final exams are taking place this week for both the college of Liberal Arts and the Atkinson Graduate School of Management. Should schedules change, the Deans of the respective schools will work with faculty and staff for alternate arrangements.
Please be aware that walkways and parking lots on campus may have ice and snow and may not be cleared in the early morning hours, so please plan and navigate through campus accordingly.
Thank you in advance for your flexibility and understanding around changing weather conditions and forecasts.
Director of Campus Safety