Willamette University’s yearlong 175th-anniversary celebration kicks off Wednesday.
Here are ways to join in the celebration:
- Wear Willamette — Get decked out in your favorite cardinal and gold attire Feb. 1.
- Share the celebration using #Willamette175 — Download and post commemorative cover photos on your social media. Check out the 175th website for other ways to celebrate Willamette’s anniversary.
- Commemorative selfies — Pose for a photo under the balloon arch on the first floor of the UC and post it to social media with #Willamette175. You may end up in an album on Willamette’s Facebook page.
- Birthday cake — Look for tables with balloons in Goudy, Kaneko, Law, AGSM and the first floor of the UC where cake will be served at 11 a.m.
- Group photo — Arrive at Sparks Field by noon on Wednesday for a special group photo. Everyone on campus — students, faculty and staff — is invited to attend. You’ll be instructed to form a giant 175 and pose for the overhead photo. If it’s raining, meet inside the Sparks Center in Cone Field House.
- Atkinson Lecture — This sold-out lecture by renowned author Ta-Nehisi Coates is the official 175th kickoff event. If you have extra tickets, please return them, so students on the waiting list can attend.
- WEB prize wheel and photo contest — Spin Willamette Events Board’s prize wheel and enjoy hot cocoa in Jackson Plaza from 4–6 p.m. (UC first floor if raining); hang out with Blitz from 4:30–5:30 p.m. Enter the WEB Spirit Day Photo Contest for a chance to win a GameCube. For contest details, email Jaelin Sonoda at email@example.com.
- Jackson Plaza — Stroll through the plaza after dark and enjoy the celebratory lighting for one night only.
- Special treats — The Bistro, Cat Cavern, Goudy and Kaneko will have special items for sale. Goudy will serve a celebratory dinner menu. Find more swag at the Willamette Store (175th merchandise coming soon!) and the Willamette Athletics Online Store.
- #Willamette175 trivia contest — Follow Willamette’s Facebook and Instagram accounts and win Willamette 175 goodies by commenting with the first correct answer to trivia questions about historic photos. Questions will be posted Monday–Friday this week.
- Snapchat debut — Use the snapcode in the right-hand column to follow Willamette’s Snapchat account that debuts Feb. 1.
- Celebrate all year — Invite your friends and neighbors to join you at Willamette’s academic, arts and athletic events this year. Download an event guide, follow the events calendar each week in the Bearcat Bulletin or view the events calendar online.
For more information, go to willamette.edu/175 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Happy 175th, Willamette!