Members of the Willamette University community must change their network passwords using the guidelines listed below by Oct. 17. To change your password, go to willamette.edu/go/password.
If you changed your password since May 1 and followed the guidelines, you don’t need to update it again now.
- Your new password must be at least 16 characters long, but not more than 32 characters long.
- Your new password must be rated as “strong” before it will be accepted.
- To receive a “strong” rating, try one or more of the following:
- Use a combination of unrelated but easy-to-remember words, like “book toaster house spoon.”
- Set a pass-phrase with spaces and punctuation instead of a conventional password. Avoid common phrases.
- Avoid repeated characters or ordered series like “1234,” “abcd” or “onetwothree.”
- To help keep your password secure, consider these recommendations:
- Don’t use any part of your real name.
- Nicknames and names of family members and pets should be avoided.
- Avoid using personal data such as significant dates, license plate numbers or addresses.
- Don’t use Willamette-related terms, dates, phrases or ID numbers.
- Don’t recycle an old password in full or in part.