- What information does my Compass Card contain?
- How do I unlock doors with my card?
- What is “authorized” Compass Card use?
- When will I need my card for ID purposes?
- Where can I use my Compass Card?
- How do I add funds to my card?
- How can I see what I have spent?
- Flex Dollars versus Compass Cash: What’s the Difference?
- What are Compass Card dos and don’ts?
1. What information does my Compass Card contain?
The magnetic strip contains your ID number (for Compass Cash and Flex Dollars purchases) and authorized building entry codes. See the chart below for building access details:
|Your residence hall||Yes||No/NA||Yes|
|College of Law||*||Yes||*|
|Atkinson Graduate School||No/NA||*||Yes|
|Parking lot gates||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Hatfield Library 24-hour study room||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|No after-hours academic building access without written faculty approval|
* Access on request
2. How do I unlock doors with my card?
- Position the card in the card reader with the magnetic strip facing right.
- Slide the card rapidly through the slot from top to bottom.
- The green light will come on and the door will unlock for about six seconds.
If your card will not unlock a door to which you should have access, call 503-370-6911.
3. What is “authorized” Compass Card use?
Your Compass Card is the property of Willamette University and is issued to you for personal use only.
Loaning your card to another person is a violation of the University's Standards of Conduct. If you wish to purchase something for someone else, you must accompany that person.
4. When will I need my card for ID purposes?
You must carry your Compass Card with you at all times while on campus.
You must present your card for:
- Purchases: Flex Dollars and Compass Cash
- Building Access: The magnetic strip and proximity chip contain authorized entry codes
- Events: To purchase or pick up event tickets, event attendance
- General ID: If requested by any University official
5. Where can I use my Compass Card?
|Atkinson Graduate School||Yes||Yes|
|Blitz Market||Any Purchase|
|Campus Safety||Any Purchase|
|College of Law||Yes||Yes||Rick's Cafe -- any purchase|
|Mail Services||Any Purchase|
|Print/Design Center||Personal print/copy services|
|The Willamette Store||Any Purchase|
* Food purchases made at these locations will automatically utilize Flex Dollars (if any) first, then Compass Cash.
6. How do I add funds to my card?
Credit/Debit Cards Online
Credit cards and some debit cards can be used to add funds to your Compass Card account using the links below:
- Students/Staff: Log in with your Willamette username and password.
- Parents/Others: Log in to the Guest Deposit section by entering your student's name and ID number.
Funds will be posted to your account immediately.
Food Service Locations
Add funds at any cash register in Goudy Commons, the Blitz Market, or Rick's Café during regular hours of operation.
- Compass Cash is not refundable except upon graduation, withdrawal or termination from the University, by means of an in-person or written request.
- No cash advances or withdrawals are available.
- After 365 days of no activity, an account will be charged a $5 per month service fee until funds are depleted. The account will then be closed.
7. How can I see what I have spent?
You can view your recent purchases by logging on to the Online Card Office. For older transactions, click View All Transaction History.
8. Flex Dollars versus Compass Cash: What’s the Difference?
Flex Dollars (purchased by students at the beginning of term) can only be used for food purchases and are not refundable or transferable. Flex Dollars can be used at these locations
- Goudy Commons
- Blitz Market
Compass Cash can be deposited on your Compass Card at any time, and can be used in any location on campus that accepts the Compass Card, including the dining locations listed above. Compass Cash purchases at Goudy Commons receive a 10% discount posted at the register at time of purchase.
Note: When you make a purchase at the four locations listed above, Flex Dollars will be used first, then Compass Cash.
9. What are Compass Card dos and don’ts?
- Do carry your card at all times. You must have your card with you to make a purchase with Flex Dollars or Compass Cash. You must present your card to any University official on request.
- Don't loan your card to anyone. Loaning your card or using another person's card are violations of the University's Standards of Conduct.
- Do report lost or stolen cards immediately by calling the Compass Card office at 503-370-6000 or emailing email@example.com.
- DON'T PUNCH A HOLE IN YOUR CARD! Don't bend, wash, cut, scrape, burn or otherwise damage or deface the card. Cards with abnormal damage will cost $15 to replace.