Summer Break: Residences Close on Sunday, May 9, 2021 at 12:00 noon
Residence halls and sorority houses closes for undergraduate students at 12:00 noon on Sunday, May 9th. If you have not already done so, please make your travel plans now.
Spring 2021 Closing Reminders:
- AGSM and LAW graduate student check-out is 24 hours after their last final exam.
- Undergraduate Arts & Sciences student check-out is 24 hours after their last final exam, or Sunday, May 9th when the residence halls and sorority houses close; whichever date is earlier.
- The deadline to check out for graduating seniors participating in commencement is at 12:00 noon on Monday, May 17th.
- Place your labeled boxes in storage, a limit of 2 items per resident - RAs have labels for you. See further details below in "Storage."
Check-Out Procedures & Closing Check-List
Adhering to the check-out inventory procedures is part of your contract/lease. The inventory procedure is designed to keep and accurate record of the condition of each room/suite/apartment and is for the protection of the occupant(s). It is your responsibility to take care of each item on the following check-list before you leave campus:
- Return everything in your room/suite/apartment to the original place/condition.
- Clean and vacuum your room/suite/apartment (don't forget to vacuum under the bed!) Look for the cleaning foster for tips on cleaning poster for tips on cleaning private bathrooms and apartment kitchens.
- Remove all personal items from your room/hall. Be sure to check the top shelf of the closet and all drawers. Don't forget the things you have in the bathroom and laundry room.
- Remove all decorations from the walls, doors, ceiling, mirrors and windows.
- Schedule a time to check-out with an RA before your check-out deadline.
- Be packed and ready to move out at the time of your check-out appointment.
- Have all donations, recycling and trash removed to the designated collection areas.
- Place your labeled boxes in storage - RAs have labels for you.
- Keep the hallways and stairwells clear of your belongings at all times.
- Return any dishes, glasses, or flatware that you took from Goudy or Kaneko Cafe.
- Check-out with an RA. For your protection, it is important for you to log into your Bearcat BnB to review your Room Condition Report upon Check-Out of your space, noting if any charges are being assessed for damages. Failure to check out with an RA will result in a $50 improper check-out fine.
- Give your key to an RA when checking out.
- Give the Mail Center your summer mailing address.
If damages, a dirty room/suite/apartment and/or missing items are noted, your RA will fill out an End-of-Year Charge Form. Statements of charges sent out by the Business Office during the summer are not itemized. Questions about any charges should be discussed with your Area Coordinator before leaving campus. Inventory check-out bills are finalized once a room/suite/apartment is completely vacant.
If you do not schedule a check-out appointment, you waive your right to be present when your room/suite/apartment is checked for damages/cleanliness. Failure to check-out with your RA by the closing deadline will result in a $50 improper check-out fine. You are responsible for leaving your room/suite/apartment in 'move-in ready' condition. A charge will be assessed for any damages, dirty room/suite/apartment, dirty or missing furniture. If it cannot be determined who is responsible for the charge(s), the cost will be split equally among the occupants. Extra common area cleaning, missing common area furniture and common area damages are the responsibility of all residents assigned to the living organization. A price list of damage charges is available from an Area Coordinator.
UAPs/Doney apartment/Kaneko apartment Residents: Cleaning deposits will be returned by mid-June if your apartment is left in 'move in ready' condition. No partial refunds will be made.
- Cleaning Responsibilities/Trash/Recycling
- Maintenance/Cleaning Charges
- Food Service
- Study Hours
- Letting Loose
Limited storage space is available in some residences for students who are returning to campus next fall. Storage space is not guaranteed. You may store up to two items of personal belongings in designated storage rooms only. Belongings are stored at your own risk for up to one year. The University will not replace or repair items lost or damaged regardless of the cause. All items put in storage must be labeled with your name, contact information and the date stored. Staff members will be distributing storage labels. Check with your RA for storage access hours during finals week. Items left over one year from date stored, will be subject to donation. If you are leaving your bike in a designated bike storage don't forget to lock and label it, too. Unlabeled bikes or bikes left in common areas will be donated. Please remember that campus residences will not be open during the summer break to retrieve stored belongings. Be sure to take everything you'll need over the summer.
No storage is offered at the University Apartments.
2. Cleaning Responsibilities/Trash/Recycling
Rooms/suites/apartments, bathrooms and common areas are to be left clean. The definition of clean is 'move-in ready' condition for the next person. If it is necessary for university staff to clean your side of the room, a minimum $50 cleaning fee will be assessed (2 staff x $25/hour; including supplies). If extra cleaning is needed in the hallway or bathroom, each resident will be assessed. Remember to clean the closets, floor, ceiling, walls, doors, and furniture, including all drawers and shelves. Remove all personal belongings from your room/suite/apartment, bathroom, laundry room and common area. Apartment residents: clean your kitchen (don't forget the oven and refrigerator) and bathroom, as well.
Personal belongings left behind will be discarded or donated the week following Commencement. Staff will distribute garbage bags for trash. Be sure to take your trash bags to an outside collection area.
Please watch your belongings when you are packing your car. Do not leave valuables in your unattended car overnight. Packed cars are an invitation for theft. Keep your doors locked. Do not prop open an outside door and leave it unattended while you are taking things to your car. Propped doors are an invitation to unwanted visitors and put the entire community at risk.
Your room/apartment key is to be returned to your RA when you check-out. For the security of the next resident, failure to return your key at check-out will result in a $100 charge to re-key the lock and issue new keys.
5. Maintenance/Cleaning Charges
If it is necessary to repair damages in your room/suite/apartment, maintenance charges are assessed at the rate of $20/hour/staff member (including supplies). If you don't clean and it is necessary for university staff to return your space to 'move-in ready' condition, you will be billed for their time and supplies. For a list of common charges and the cost of estimates, please contact a Residence Life and Housing staff member.
6. Food Service
Meal Plan Points expire after the last meal service which is lunch, Wednesday, May 13th.
If you took dishes, flatware or glasses from the Kaneko Cafe or Goudy, please return them to a Bon Appetit venue before you leave campus.
7. Study Hours
During Arts & Sciences Study Days and Finals, quiet hours in the residences will be 24 hrs/day until May 9th at 8 a.m. Campus Courtesy Hours will still be in effect 24 hours/day.
8. Letting Loose
We would like to remind you to be considerate of where, when, and how you decide to "let loose" during study days and finals. Please remember that your neighbors may still be writing a paper or studying for a final and will not appreciate a primal scream or your music at full blast. To ensure that all students' rights are respected, staff will be enforcing University policies until the last student checks out.