- What is an Emergency Communications System?
- Why is the ECS necessary?
- How can I register or edit my contact information?
- If I am no longer a student or employee and I am getting these notifications, how can I get my name taken off the list?
1. What is an Emergency Communications System?
An Emergency Communication System is a method or methods to notify a large group of people with the details of an occurring or pending emergency situation. Examples are weather delays or closures, on-campus or near-campus emergencies that could present a danger, or threatening people on or in the vicinity of campus.
2. Why is the ECS necessary?
In order to help create a safer environment for our students, faculty and staff, Willamette University has purchased a software system that allows the uploading of email addresses, office and residence room phone numbers and cell phone numbers of all campus community members. In the event that an emergency message needs to be sent out, a message can be created and sent via all of these methods in a matter of minutes. The message will notify people of the situation or danger and offer directions or suggestions to avoid certain areas or be cautious about possible situations. Update messages will be sent out with current information, or to let people know that the situation has ended.
3. How can I register or edit my contact information?
We encourage you to add/update your personal contact phone number in the Emergency Notification System. You can add/update your cell phone number online using the links below:
Students click hereTo receive campus emergency
To add your cell phone number select add:
- Scroll down to Phone Numbers and select "+Add New Phone"
- Enter your phone number (cell phone)
- Select "Emergency Broadcast Phone" under "Type"
- Click the "Add Phone" button.
To update your cell phone number update:
- Scroll down to Phone Numbers and click the pencil icon in the row where the Type is "Emergency Broadcast Phone"
- Update your Emergency Contact phone number (cell phone)
- Click the "Update Phone" button.
Faculty and Staff click here
Please add your cell phone number to Workday by clicking on the "edit" button on the top left side of the page and update/add a "Mobile (Used for Campus Emergency Notification)" in the "phone" section. If you would like some assistance in updating your record in Workday, please look at the attached Workday help document.
4. If I am no longer a student or employee and I am getting these notifications, how can I get my name taken off the list?
Your number(s) will automatically be removed from the list at the end of the month that you leave campus. If for some reason it does not get removed, please contact Campus Safety at either 503-370-6911 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.