The Cone Chapel is primarily a place for appropriate worship in the Christian tradition, appropriate celebrations from other faith traditions, and private meditation and prayer. Secondarily, appropriate fine arts and other educational events may be held from time to time. To this end the following guidelines have been established.
1. All group use of the chapel must be scheduled with the Office of the Scheduling, Events, and Conferences no less than three (3) business days prior to the event.
2. Worship services will be scheduled in the following priority order: University Worship (services arranged and planned by the Office of the Chaplain.), Services arranged and planned by established campus ministries (e.g., Newman Community, Campus Ambassadors, Intervarsity Christian Fellowship, Jewish Student Union), Other groups as approved by the University Chaplain.
3.Memorial services for members of the campus community (students, faculty, emeritus faculty, staff, trustees) may pre-empt other scheduled events, although all efforts will be made to honor scheduling.
4. The hours of 7:30 to 11 a.m., Monday through Friday, will be reserved for private prayer and meditation and early morning services planned by the Office of the Chaplain.
5. Fine arts performances must be scheduled through the Office of Scheduling, Events, and Conferences following standard procedures. Rehearsal time may be limited to a dress rehearsal and will be scheduled to allow priority use of the chapel for worship and prayer/meditation.
6. Use of the chapel for the following activities has been determined to be inappropriate: Regular classroom activities (this is not to preclude special presentations, e.g. a Freshman Seminar/World Views lecture.), Forensic and music competitions.
7. The Organ Policy is available upon request from the Office of Scheduling, Events, and Conferences.
8. Furnishings in the chapel, including the piano, may not be moved without permission from the Director of Scheduling, Events and Conferences and the University Chaplain. The cross is a permanent fixture in the Chapel and may not be removed for events.
9. No food or beverage is allowed in the chapel.