- In addition to recommendations, what else is in the application?
- For Recommenders: Can my recommender just write a letter? What if they have questions or problems?
- What information about my application do my recommenders get?
- What do you ask my ACADEMIC ADVISOR(s)?
- What do you ask my FACULTY recommender?
- What do you ask my PERSONAL recommender?
- What do you ask on the LANGUAGE ASSESSMENT?
1. In addition to recommendations, what else is in the application?
- Application Instructions - General instructions for completing the application.
- Learning Content - Instructions, policies, and details. Read and refer to them as you complete your application and during your predeparture stage. Learning Content items B-D [PDF] are POLICY related items including how applications are reviewed, requirements of you, and details about intiating recommendations. Details about the application and completing it (Learning Content item A) will be accessible in the application only.
- Signature Documents - Items that need your electronic signature. You are agreeing to abide by these policies and acknowledging your understanding of the application process and as a Willamette participant in WU Sponsored Study Abroad.
- Questionnaires - In these items you will submit a Statement, tell us about your program parameters, and present information that will help in the decision process.
- Recommendations - Items that others complete in support of your application. You initiate the recommendation process by entering recommender information and our office sends them instructions to complete the process online.
- Attached Documents - Questionnaires will direct you to attach certain items using this part of the application. You will be directed to attach a copy of your current Passport.
2. For Recommenders: Can my recommender just write a letter? What if they have questions or problems?
The online forms must be completed to satisfy the application requirements. A letter alone will not satisfy the step.
- IF your recommender (personal or faculty) wants to include a letter within the online form, it can be downloaded as a document into the online recommendation form in the free-form question. It cannot be added after they submit the recommendation. It cannot be submitted on paper.
Is your recommender having problems of any kind? Can't get to the form, information disappears, not sure what to do? Your recommender (not you) should contact our office directly for help. They can reach us at <email@example.com>. If they call, please urge them to leave a message if we can't answer: 503-375-5493.
3. What information about my application do my recommenders get?
- Your recommenders will automatically receive an email from <firstname.lastname@example.org> with your name, the program and term you are applying for, and whether or not you waived your right to read the item they complete.
- The email gives them complete instructions for getting to the online form and how to get help.
- When you enter the name and email of the recommender in your application you will have the opportunity to add information you want to include. This will be included in the email they receive exactly as you enter it.
4. What do you ask my ACADEMIC ADVISOR(s)?
Your Academic Advisor(s) are notified that this is a meeting verification tool and not a recommendation.
The questions they will be asked to affirm are:
1. "[Has the student] planned for the SA experience? We discussed the possibility that there could be a negative academic impact if the student does not properly plan for the experience, including what courses to take prior to and after the study abroad program."
2. "[Will study abroad] enrich the academic experience? Our conversation actively encouraged the student to assess his/her ability to pursue study abroad in a way that enriches his/her academic experience."
5. What do you ask my FACULTY recommender?
These questions are focused on you as a student, in an academic setting (like the classroom). They do not reflect on the instructor's knowledge of you on a personal level.
- Each question also offers a comments section for the recommender.
- Each question offers faculty the option of answering: "no opportunity to observe". This response does not negatively impact your application.
These items are "ranked" on a scale.
1. academic ability
4. ability to get along with others
5. intellectual curiosity
6. self reliance
7. sensitivity to others
This item is an open-ended item:
8. address strengths and weaknesses
6. What do you ask my PERSONAL recommender?
The nature of these questions is for those who know you in a defined relationship that involves you completing specific responsibilities as in the case of employer, coach, performance director, supervisor, club advisor, etc. See materials in the application for a description of who should complete this recommendation for you.
1. assess the applicant's maturity and emotional stability [address your follow-through on commitments, reaction to stressful circumstances, receptiveness to instruction/direction]
2. challenges for this student in a study abroad setting? [address how you would cope with new culture while attending to academic demands]
3. way(s) this student would excel in a study abroad setting?
4. additional comments
7. What do you ask on the LANGUAGE ASSESSMENT?
This assessment focuses on your language skills. It is used to determine best program fit for your skill needs. Assessments are asked in each of the areas listed below and include sub-categories.
1. overall classroom engagement
2. aural comprehension
3. oral expression
4. reading comprehension
5. writing skills
There is a place for the recommender to make comments as well.